• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny baths

animus

Mama Doe
Having just read a reply to another topic, someone said that buns shouldn't be washed.
I was just wondering, is this a definately shouldn't be washed or a shouldn't be washed unless nessacery?
Just wondering because Crunchie was scratching a lot many months ago and I bought some shampoo which stopped the problem. It said on the bottle that I should bath her every 3 month, I wasn't sure about that so I tried to look it up but couldn't find much. Anyone got any ideas?

I think the thought is that by washing your rabbit you wash away all the oils in their fur/skin and could dry the skin. Ive had to wash my bunny's bottom before because of loose poos but never done an actually bath.

A healthy rabbit shouldn't need washing as it will keep itself clean. But there are obviously times when rabbits can't look after themselves (due to neglect/illness or because they have managed to get themselves really really dirty) and need a helping hand.

i washed my bun wen shed bin diggin and covered herself in mud..and ther was noway she was going to ick clean..plus i cudnt cope with her lookng so mucky..lol..so i bathed her..the only risk to washing really is if u do it in a drafty room..and they catch a chill..but aslong as u are in a room which warm and draft free..they shud be fine...i dont think mine will catch a chill while ive got a hair dryer on them..( they seem to like tht)..other than that i guess u just gotta use ur own sense wen its appropriate

The main ponit is not using shampoo etc on them. I've had to wash feet and bottoms, but jsut used warm water. It's shampoo that ruins the oils that protect their fur, so don't use shampoo. If bunny has fleas, chances are you would need to tak ethem to the vet to get checked anyway or try spot on that's a product for fleas.
There isn't really any reason to wash rabbits, they hate it and it will just annoy them!

Guinea Pigs on the other hand need bathing every few months (just incase there are any piggie owners)

I think baby wipes are good and safe to use on Bunny's for cleaning them up.

When I had Honey she got mites so my vet told me to shampoo her with this mite shampoo which I wasnt keen to do, but I did. But for some reason it kept making her very ill, and sadly she died :(

omg thst tragic! poor bunny...wen i bathed paris..she looked like a little drowned rat lol!...all wet and small! and she got the bathroom tiles covered in mud! she kept like flicking her feet like they do? and it was mad!..she enjoyed the blowdryer tho lol..just on low

I had to bath mine yesterday oh my gosh.. I think I ended up more wet than she did, and then she had the nerve to go running round the garden and getting muddy! then she comes in like hahahah you wont be bathing me again even when I am covered in poop! lol

I lolly gets mud or poo on her she won't lick it - she just shakes her feet in disgust (like a cat that's stepped in water or oil) so i have to wash her then - i just tend to wash the dirty bits. I blow dry her when she's done (on the lowest setting). luckily she likes being blow dried!!

Back