• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen pineapple

Jayney

Mama Doe
Just wondered if you could freeze pineapple, as the buns are moulting at the moment im giving them a chunck a day but wondered if i could freeze it and then take a piece out the night before to defrost for the morning

"Fresh pineapple can be stored in the refrigerator up to five days. For longer storage, the fruit may be frozen; just remove the rind and core and cut the fruit into chunks."
http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/hn/Food_Guide/Pineapple.htm#Buying-Storing

"What is the best method for freezing pineapple?

Peel and core pineapple. Dice, slice, or cut into wedges, remove center core. Cover with syrup made by mixing 3 cups sugar to 1 quart water. Or pack using 1 cup sugar for 8 to 9 cups fruit. Do not use uncooked pineapple in gelatin mixtures.

Pack fruits in freezer bags or rigid containers. Squeeze as much air as possible from bags before sealing. Leave 1/2 inch headspace for expansion in containers"
http://dbs.extension.iastate.edu/answers/projects/answerline/questions/answer417.html

"Also, if you find you have more pineapple than you can eat, just chop it up and freeze it. It tastes great! "
http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm

Looks as if it's OK!

We do this with fresh pineapple juice. It freezes well. Never thought of freezing the fruit...... great idea!

Am new to rabbit ownership and my 2 are moulting at the moment too. I'm guessing the acidity of the pineapple helps to breakdown any hair in their guts. Did I guess right??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Aliandbuns said:
Am new to rabbit ownership and my 2 are moulting at the moment too. I'm guessing the acidity of the pineapple helps to breakdown any hair in their guts. Did I guess right??? :oops: :oops: :oops:
There is an enzyme in fresh pineapple that helps break down fur balls.. you were close :wink:

You say to freezes it covered in a syrip high in sugar, surely thats not right for buns, especially when we don't give them heaps of carrot because its high in sugar. Atleast carrot doesn't have a few cups of sugar! I'm very confused please explain? I was wonderig if you could give them the frozen pinapple without thawing it, it would make for a nice summer moult treat.

toffeepudding said:
You say to freezes it covered in a syrip high in sugar, surely thats not right for buns, especially when we don't give them heaps of carrot because its high in sugar. Atleast carrot doesn't have a few cups of sugar! I'm very confused please explain? I was wonderig if you could give them the frozen pinapple without thawing it, it would make for a nice summer moult treat.

I dont think its tinned pineapple its fresh :)

as it's the enzyme in pineapple that dissolves the mucus surrounding a hairball, which then means that water can get to the mass in the gut, and pass it through - Why not buy some enzyme tablets from a health food store? Bromelain tablets are what I have, and papain tablets contain the enzyme from papaya, which does the same job. Just crush them up with the back of a spoon, and mix with cooled mushed up pellets.

That way you avoid the risk of giving your rabbit caecal dysbiosis from sugary foods - toffeepudding is quite right to point out that the last thing a rabbit with a slow gut needs is frozen pineapple soaked in syrup.

Back