• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photo of me. Ughh

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
This is me yesterday collecting signatures for the petition against the seal hunt which started in Canada yesterday :(

sealcrop2smlRR.jpg

For the price of a second class stamp you can cut and paste one of the letter formats below and send it to:

Mel Cappe,
Canadian High Commissioner,
38 Grosvenor Street,
London,
W1K 4AA.

But of couse if you don't object to the seal hunt, then do nothing at all.

Sample letters:

Dear Mel Cappe

We will not continue to ignore cruelty in the name of commercial profit which is why I am writing to my MP to ask that he requests Ian Pearson MP, Minister of State for Trade, to put an end to the slaughter of Canada's seals by stopping the trade in harp and hooded seal products in the UK. Until trade stops I will personally boycott Canada as a holiday destination and all Canadian products.

Yours sincerely
(your name)

Dear Mel Cappe
I am disgusted that Canada’s commercial harp seal hunt is now bigger than it has been for 50 years and that it cannot be effectively regulated to ensure humane treatment and prevent cruelty. Even World experts agree that the size of the seal hunt puts the harp seal population at risk.

More than 95% of the seals killed are less than three months old. The Canadian regulations are neither respected nor enforced and the vast area where the killing takes place means that it is impossible to adequately monitor the hunt. The small, unprotected newborn of any species should not be preyed upon, never mind bludgeoned with a club.

Tourists from the UK spend more than 1 billion dollars a year in Canada, contributing to the economy and therefore the Canadian exchequer. The hunt is heavily subsidized by the Canadian government and so, by visiting Canada as a tourist, consumers are inadvertently supporting the hunt I will boycott Canada and all Canadian products until the seal hunt is stopped. . I have also written to my MP to request that he ask Ian Pearson MP, Minister of State for Trade, to put an end to the slaughter of Canada's seals by stopping the trade in harp and hooded seal products in the UK.

Yours sincerely
(Your name)

Dear Mel Cappe
I am writing to state my objection to Canada’s annual seal hunt which is done purely for profit. The IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) is launching a report entitled ‘Importing Cruelty: Canada’s Commercial Seal Hunt: Cruel and Unsustainable’ in Parliament. The report shows that the seal hunt is cruel and unsustainable, and calls on the Government to stop the trade in harp and hooded seal products in the UK.
The Canadian regulations around the seal hunt are neither respected nor enforced and due to the vastness of the area where the killing takes place it is impossible to adequately monitor the hunt it therefore cannot be effectively regulated to ensure humane treatment and prevent cruelty.
Until the seal hunt is stopped I will boycott all products from Canada and will not visit this country as a tourist.

Yours sincerely
(Your name)

Don't forget to put your address at the top of the letter. And feel free to add your own bits to personalise it.

Thanks in advance to everyone who makes the effort on behalf of these poor helpless babies.

Rabswood

Thanks for that Rabswood.
There were pics everywhere yesterday & it was hard not to burst into tears in sainsburys :cry:

I hate these people so much.

Already sent an email :)

Well done sending the email, send a letter too, lets inundate them.

You will notice it's a very small photo of me, didn't want to put people off their Sunday lunch :lol:

Rabswood

No, I did it on Saturday as it was the start of the seal hunt. I was contacted by an organisation called Respect for Animals as they needed someone in Sheffield to volunteer.

One Saurday in April I will be shaking a collection tin in Rotherham for NAVS (anti-vivisection), don't know the date yet, have to wait for the permit to arrive.

elve, I didn't need to be brave really. Just had to stand there with the poster and the petition, people just came up to me and signed it, but hundreds of people just look at the poster and walk past. I find that very hard to understand. Don't people care? :(

Rabswood

Back