• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! - Panic over - Thanks!!

Nyki

Warren Scout
My Bugs looks really uncomfortable he keeps moving around, settling down for a couple of seconds then getting back up, then he will lay down with his legs stretched out and before you know he is back up again. He seems to be breathing quite fast too.

I have seen this behaviour before in both Spooky and Stu but I have usually been able to calm them down fairly quickly. Bugs is not such an affectionate bun and doesn't like being fussed over.

I don't know what to do??

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know what it is???

He ate well this morning and nothing different to normal.

(Panicking a bit sorry I put this in the wrong category!!!)

Hiya :)

Its possible he may have bloat, there has been ALOT of buns in recent weeks coming down with this.

Can you pop him to your vet today? If your's is closed, companion care (if you have one near you) are generally open all day on sundays.

If it is bloat he needs to be seen asap so that the vet can give him medication to settle his tum & move stuff along :)

Thanks Leanne!

I am in France and getting to a vet is not going to be easy. Do you know if there is anything I can do to help him for now??

O pants :?
Lots of tummy rubs to start to hopefully move the gas along, is he eating plenty of hay too(lots of fibre to keep things moving)? Can you get Infacol in France? A few people on the forum use it. But it depends what has caused the bloat as to what to treat him with :?

He is actually letting me near him now so I have been rubbing his tummy and he seems to be a bit more settled.

I don't know if you can get Infacol here, but certainly nothing on a Sunday, mind you most of the Pharmacies sell some pet medicines, sorry thinking as I type here.

Thank you so much for your help!

More tummy rubs and I'll see how it goes.

Silly me I didn't realinse infacol was for humans :oops: :oops:

I was just looking it up online to see what the ingredients are, incase there is an eqivilent over here!

Yes does sound like what claude had on tue night i ended up at the emergency vet,he had a very gassy tummy

Bugs seems to have calmed right down after all those tummy rubs I just gave him. His tummy seems a little softer than when I started too. He is now cleaning and scratching, normal bunny things.

I'm giving him a break for a while and watching out for poos!

He and Spooky are moulting quite alot at the moment and although I brush them every day, it seems a never ending process. Could it be fur in his belly???

Nyki said:
Bugs seems to have calmed right down after all those tummy rubs I just gave him. His tummy seems a little softer than when I started too. He is now cleaning and scratching, normal bunny things.

I'm giving him a break for a while and watching out for poos!

He and Spooky are moulting quite alot at the moment and although I brush them every day, it seems a never ending process. Could it be fur in his belly???

Ah good :)

yes some bloat is related to build up of hair esp during the moulting season & this may be why so many buns have come down with bloat over the last few weeks. :?

papaya & pineapple treats are supposed to help breakdown the fur in the tummy helping to reduce the chance of bloat happening.

YYYYYYIIIIPPPPPEEEEE I have just put some hay under Bug's nose and he took it, he is munching away now!! Phew!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

You are an absolute star leanne!!!!

Thank you so much again!!!

My Mum is coming over at Easter so I'm going to ask her to bring me some Infacol and pineapple treats too. I hate not being prepared for these things!! I do tend to take it forgranted when my bunnies are healthy and I know I shouldn't.

Do you know if there are any other products I can have to hand to help my bunnies??

Yay!!! Glad he seems better now....just keep a close eye on his poops, tummy & eating :)

They are such a worry when they are poorly :?

I just keep a pack of critical care in the cupboard(although soaked pellets will do the trick if you have none to hand) for syringe feeding! Infacol, hibiscrub & emergency stuff for first aid.
But im lucky as my mate is a vet so can call her early hours of morning if need be but I also have several vets in my area too who are ok :)

So maybe scout out an emergency vet number so you have one to call if it happens again?

:)

Thanks again Leanne!!

You are very lucky having a friend who is a vet.

We have a vet locally but trying to describe symptoms in french over the phone is not one of my strong points, also rabbits aren't the most popular of pets out here so the vets knowledge on rabbits is not fantastic, unfortunately!!

Holly was like this last week.

Fresh pinapple juice is very good, or boiled cooled water syringed fed helps alot if yoiu cannot get infacol x

Back