• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken Leg

baobao

Young Bun
hey all

My friend came over last night and was holding my rabbit. Then she dropped the rabbit about half a meter on to the cage and fell on the floor quite hard (30 cm high from the cage)

i thought he was fine cause he just ran back to his cage. After coming back from a meal with her i found out my rabbit wasnt walking properly. He can only move 3 of his legs while the other one feels like he cant control it and just moves freely without any feeling. I then picked up him up and felt both of his back legs to compare it. The good leg feels fine and normal while the bad feels like there is nothing there and i can move it freely very easily. I then feel the joints between the leg and the body and found out the bad leg isnt really connected to the body properly compare to the other leg. But the thing is that when he moves, he moves fine and doesnt seem like he is in any pain.

I am very scared n upset, I dont know what to do since the VEt is closed till monday. Will he be fine by then and is it possible for that leg to heal

I love him a lot

Thanks Lot

Nana

Rabbits rarely show signs of pain such as crying or yelping like a cat/dog would do. Rabbits are prey animals so they hide pain very well, if they looked sick/week they would be targetted by preditors.

Although you vet is closed to normal appointments on sunday there should be an emergency vet available. There is usually a higher charge for this but the sooner your bun gets treatment the better prognosis it is.

Hopefully the vet can put a support plaster on and it will heal. Rabbits bones don't always seem to do this very well though, if it doesn't then it maybe a case that the leg will need amputating. Rabbits can cope very well on three legs though :)

The vet can give fluid/painkillers which will also help stop your rabbit going into shock and keep it eating.

tam

Hey all took the rabbit (baobao) to an emergency vet today

he is in a lot of pain and we had to pay 218 pounds just for an xray and painkillers

we have left it there over night for it to be looked after by a professional

neway i ave got the xray results back today and they said that he has a double fracture but would be able to recover from a simple surgery (another 150 dollars)

anyway i hope he is going to be fine, my girlfriend (the original owner) cried today when the vetinarian said that it is possible for the leg to get chopped off and i felt really bad. But we both agreed that paying this much money will do him good cause we love him a lot.

anyway tomorow i am going to pick him up and take him to a vet for surgery, i just hope it goes well and that he will be fine after. I am going to get insurance when he is fully recovered but i have heard that i wont be able to insure the bad leg unless i can trick the insurance company (ne ideas please dont hesitate to tell)

Anyway i will keep you all noticed

*BaoBao Forever*

Aaron

DSC00038t.jpg

Hey All

Just found out our baobao has to get his leg amputated. It is the best thing to do for him. We are very upset at the moment but also quite delighted that bao bao will be able to continue to have a good life with his 3 working legs

i wont be able to see him until wednesday and i cant wait to see him. He is not even a year old and he has to get his leg amputated, I feel so bad but yet so lucky that it is not going to affect his life that much.

Anyway i will find out how the operation will go tomorow and let you know

Aaron

Back