• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nuetering aftercare

Suzanne

Mama Doe
Rosie was neutered yesterday but she hasn't eaten or drunk anything since. We were very worried so we took her in to the vet again this morning. The vet gave her some more pain relief, an injection of fluids and something in her mouth to help her stomach but I don't rememebr what it was. When we got her home she couldn't stand up or walk because she kept falling over, we tried to phone the vet again but they were closed. Is this normal because we weren't expecting it and we're very concerned.
Suzanne

no she shouldent be falling over

can you get some veg baby food and a 1 mil seringe and feed her that way shell need to see a vet very soon thow like today is there an emergancey vet near you

Hi,
I`m sorry to hear about your poorly bunny. No it`s not normal for her to not be able to stand, fall over. Sometimes bunnies can be off their food/drink after neutering and can need some extra help but the loss of balance isn`t normal.
Please try and get hold of your vet, or an emergency vet if yours isn`t avaliable. I`m not trying to scare you but this definately isn`t normal.

Please let us know how she gets on.
Best wishes,
Su.x

Poor bunny. All my boys have bounced back very quickly from being castrated, but I've never had a girl done. A bit worrying that it was worse AFTER going to the vet! Make sure you get it seen to, we'll have our fingers crossed for you. x

When Daisy was done about a month ago,she didnt eat for a day,although she wasnt falling over,she got given metacam which is painkiller although if you havent any you can use calpol.
Try to syringe feed the bunny if you can I did for a day,then she bucked her ideas up and ate parsley try tempting the bun with basil etc they seem to really like that.
She should not be falling over tho :shock:
Is there not a emergency vet??

The vet should have an out of hours vet on call, or try ringing another vet. Are you anywhere near Gamston as I know they have a good vets there?

That is not normal. Some does get a bit stiff and sore and hop awkwardly, but not being able to move is not normal and is probably a sign of shock. So you need to keep her really warm. I always keep rabbits recovering from an op in the bathroom with the radiator on as it gets really toasty in there. Temperature regulation stops working when an animal is in shock which it sounds as if your rabbit is, so it is important to really keep the environment as warm as possible.
It is also very important to keep something going into her. Critical care solution from vet ark is great for this. Lacking that if she normally eats pellets you could soak some and make a thin mixture perhaps mixed with some apple juice. Maybe try and get her to take some dilute juice from a syringe first to see that it is nice and then add the pellet mixture. And keep trying to tempt her with tasty treats such as dandelions, coriander, parsley or carrot tops. She needs something in her tummy to keep her digestion going. It is good that the vet has already given her fluids and more pain relief.
I hope she perks up soon.

I think you should call out an emergency vet as that does not seem right to me and its always better to be safe than sorry..i hope she gets better soon the poor thing! make sure you keep her nice and warm in the meantime.

Bonnie

I wonder if the vet forgot to tell you they must be kept indoors after an op, for at least a couple of days? It's too cold outside.

I kept daisy in for a month,but im over the top anyways :roll: wanted to make sure all was ok first,her fur has all grown back and she has a bunny boyfriend now
Hows your bunny any news??????

Try looking under emergency numbers in the yellow pages. Maybe they aren't replying because they manged to get hold of the vet (hopefully).

Fortunately Rosie seems alot better!! We've kept her inside since the operation, she's lying in her favourite corner in the kitchen on a blanket. We fed her some soaked pellets with a syringe yeterday afternoon then after a couple of hours she ate a few bits of grass and became more responsive and started a move around and organising her blanket. This morning she ate some more grass and hay - not alot though, she still seems very sleepy, but it's a good sign.

We put her companion, Leo with her yesterday but he seems very sad and doesn't want to eat for some reason too. He always grooms her but now he's not interested in her and he dosen't move, just sleeps. If you stroke hm he grinds his teeth - this is something he has always done but now he seems to do it louder.

Could this be linked to Rosie's situation? Could he be sad because he was left alone or because she isn't well? Or could it be something totally different?
Thanks for al the advice and concern.
Animals2.png

I'm glad she has eaten something and seems better :D Even if it isn't much it at least keeps her system ticking over. Just make sure there aren't any times where she isn't eating anything and that she is pooing. She should be happier having her companion with her and continue to improve. I think that the day after is often the worst, then they begin to pick up again.

Leo could well be worried about her or upset that she doesn't smell right and isn't acting as normal. Again with him just keep checking that he is eating something even if it isn't as much as usual. Some rabbits are very sensitive to changes.

Okay, when my rabbit did the spay surgery in Dec. 2005, she didn't eat much of anything on day 1, and just a little bit on day 2, and it slowly and gradually move up from there.

You have to keep her warm at all time, and make sure she wouldn't lick the wound. If she licks the wound, you have to buy a spray that spray that wounded area, so the smell is rejected by the rabbit, as such she wouldn't touch that area until 7 days later.

The diet should be veggies at this point or whatever her favorite food/treats are for the next 7 days. That's what my vet recommend just after my rabbit's surgery.

Can't explain why the other rabbit is not eating. Best guess is the smell of that spray I mentioned at the wound of Rosie, and the smell annoy Leo. Or Leo is very emotionally attached to Rosie and is concerned, thus, obstruct his diet.

Back