• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can anyone help this bunny?

I wonder if this poor bunny might benefit from a blood test for her renal (kidney) function and for Encephalitizoon Cuniculli (EC). Her urinary incontinence might be the result of a neurological deficit due to damage done by EC. If she were my Bunny I would ask for a blood profile to be run. So sorry she does not appear to be improving.
Putting Vaseline on the bare skin areas of incontinent Buns can offer some protection from urine scald. Also bedding them on Vetbed or towels is preferable. Janex

Nala came to me with Urine scald.. altho nothing like what your bunny has.. she just had it around her genitals. I put Vaseline on regularly and after she was spayed it cleared up.
Your bunny sounds like there is something else wrong with her if she is wetting all the time down her legs. What is she bedded on? I wonder if vet bed would be good for her as it soaks up the urine. The only problem being that you would have to wash it rather often if she constantly does it. You can buy it from argos.

I have made an other appointment for tomorrow at the vets & i will ask for a blood test has i'm very worried for her, i have put lots of hay in her cage with Pampuss wood pellets under the hay, but i don't lock up the cage at night she has the dinning room all to herself i have lots of towels & old sheets down & my jumpers which she loves to lay in so she is not in one place for long. Even my front room is clovered all over with blankets & mats but i don't care has long has she is happy.
Can you please tell me what blood test i need to ask for so i can tell the vet in the morning.
Many thanks to all of you for helping :)

1 more thing to ask is there any thing a vet can do if she has EC can it be treated, i am going to look on the net to find more out about it now.

EC is a parasite so panacur wormer will kill it - you can ask the vet although the dose varies depending on whether the rabbit is being wormed or whether it's being treated for EC - I think they use the sheep strength dose for EC? She probably should be wormed in any case, as she most likely has picked up worms living rough.

Just ask for a blood test for her kidneys to be checked, and for the EC - but you can start treatment for EC right now, as it won't hurt her to have it, and the sooner it's started the better damage limitation there is.

Hope she's OK soon!

Donna-arc had a rabbit which had urinary incontinence recently, i will email her and ask her to view this thread.

Please keep us up dated on how this little one is doing.

Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job. Well done.

Rabswood

Thanks again to every one i will keep you up dated with Honey, i didn't know how much joy a rabbit can bring you, it is the first time i have ever had one & i would hate to be with out her now my son who is 25 has fall in love with her also my hubby keeps checking she is o.k bless him :D

I took honey to the vets this morning & i asked about a blood test for the kidneys & EC but the vet said she does not need one :( I asked her about EC & she said you do not need a test for that & she thinks it is hormonal with Honey, I asked her about EC & she said she will look it up & find out what she can about EC, that has worried me has i thought a vet would know all about EC, just wondered what you all thought about the vet not knowing & do you need a test or is she right :?
Thanks again for any help you can give me :)

I'm not suprised by what you say - I was shocked when I joined rabbit forums a year ago, to find out just how many vets know next to nothing about rabbits! They do very little training in small animal care and most colleges concentrate on dogs, cats, horses and livestock, since this is where the money is I guess. If a vet takes an interest in small animals they can go to conferences and update their knowledge, but if they aren't interested for some reason, they may well be excellent vets with other animals but a positive danger to rabbits and other small furries.

If you let us know what area you're in, someone may be able to recommend a good rabbit vet near you - It really is crucial you change your vet as it doesn't sound as if this one can help your rabbit - she needs urgent care. It's good that your vet is prepared to find out about things though - here's an article you could give her a reference for:
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/treatment.shtml

However there's a warning on this website
http://www.mybunny.org/info/lit_1.htm
about the meds mentioned in the first link - although the author still uses these meds herself on her rabbits - In any case, the mybunny site is an excellent site for general rabbit care information, and has a questionnaire for vets - Finding a rabbit-savvy vet is a continual problem and I will only see one of the vets at my practise of 3 vets, so they vary within a practise too. You would think you could trust a professional but sadly you can't in many cases.

Thanks evle it is a worry with vets, but at the moment Honey is going off her food & not bothering with any of us, the worst thing is i go away on monday & leaving her with my sister, i know she will look after her but i wish i wasn'nt going away :(
I just hope the vet does look it up & i will pass on from the web site you put up, the vet was not to happy when i told her about the blood test & EC.
I live in Nottingham but i am willing to travel out to any good vet that is no ploblem to me has long has Honey is getting looked after :)

I have just got back from hoilday & i could'nt wait to pick Honey up, the good news is she is not wet any more :D she has started to dry up thank god, the lady looking after her has done a great job & really looked after her :p but her hock is still very swollen, i took her back to the vet & they said leave it for an other week & still give her the antibiotics & pain killer every day, so she seams to be getting better. :D :D

well it has started again honey is wet most of the time again, it started yesterday afternoon, but i thought it would go away but she is st :cry: ill wet & she won't leave her legs along her hock is still very sore & swollen, i have been on the net day & night trying to find anything i can on this wetting all the time, i really thought she had stopped this but does any know if it can be hormonal or if any one knows any one who know any thing about rabbits i would be most grateful for any help at all. I am telling the vet i need her to be tested for EC & if she still says it can't be EC i will have to change my vet :( but finding one who knows about rabbits is so hard
Many thanks in advance for any help at all.

Hiya, Honey sounds like a little darling.
I can only tell you my experiance of e.c. My bunny Brian is been treated for it, He had to have 2 sets of blood tests with 2 weeks between them, this was to check for an active infection, I did this on the advice of my vet she was liasing with a "bunny expert" as she didn't know much about it :roll: However It was also suggested to me on here to treat for it anyway after the first blood test came back positive, you can buy the wormer online, I had a good chat with my vet before I decided, I guess it will depend on your vet, I don't see why they wont test for it if you ask for it to be done :?
Don't know if thats of any help, but I hope things turn out ok for Honey.

Hiya, Honey sounds like a little darling.
I can only tell you my experiance of e.c. My bunny Brian is been treated for it, He had to have 2 sets of blood tests with 2 weeks between them, this was to check for an active infection, I did this on the advice of my vet she was liasing with a "bunny expert" as she didn't know much about it However It was also suggested to me on here to treat for it anyway after the first blood test came back positive, you can buy the wormer online, I had a good chat with my vet before I decided, I guess it will depend on your vet, I don't see why they wont test for it if you ask for it to be done
Don't know if thats of any help, but I hope things turn out ok for Honey.
Thank you Beck my vet said she does not know any thing about ec but she will read up on it, but she still has not, some one else said about the wormer & i buy wormers online for the horses so i will get one but how much do you give & how often , thank you for your help beck & i hope brian is coming on fine, has he improved since you have give him the wormer, a good vet is worth there weight in gold in my eyes.

Thank you Beck my vet said she does not know any thing about ec but she will read up on it, but she still has not, some one else said about the wormer & i buy wormers online for the horses so i will get one but how much do you give & how often , thank you for your help beck & i hope brian is coming on fine, has he improved since you have give him the wormer, a good vet is worth there weight in gold in my eyes.

Hi, my rabbit Blueberry died from suspected e.c. at the end of january, which led me to getting Brian tested as they were a bonded pair, he did not have any symtoms but tested positive, the meds I am giving Brian are from the vets, this is the link for buying it yourself
http://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Dog___Cat_Wormers_16.html
It's the Panacur 10% Liquid I don't know dosage or anything, I was given the link here - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17507&highlight=cuniculi if you pm Cheryl - sgprescue I am sure she can advise you.

Keep us posted of Honeys progress.

Back