• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit food

cannonwoman

Warren Veteran
Well no matter how hard i try i can`t get my bunsters to eat pellets. :roll:
So after lots of researching on the net i`ve ordered some Allen & Page organic mix for them, from which i can understand is one of the best mixes on the market. Does anyone else use this mix and have they found any problems with it?

Su.x

My rabbits wouldnt eat those,the best pellets are science selective and burgess,what i used to do occasionally to get them to eat their pellets i use to mix in burgess fruity rabbits which is bits of dried fruit,this always kick started them into eating their pellets,they are all fine now :D

Thanks,
I`ve tried them on ss and burgess excel and they weren`t having any of it. :roll: :? Guess i`m just going to have to persevere until i`ve convinced them it is good for them! :roll: :wink:
I`m hoping that atleast if they`ll eat the organic mix it will be some kind of improvement.

Su.x

Are you mixing the pellets into the mix? You need to do it really gradually - over a fortnight or so.

toffee said:
Are you mixing the pellets into the mix? You need to do it really gradually - over a fortnight or so.

Yep, i`ve tried weaning them over to it very gradually and no matter how little i put in they always leave the pellets! :roll: :? I`ve been trying for months now and they just aren`t having any of it! I`m hoping by atleast going over to the best mix i can buy it will improve their diet as much as i can.
All my bunnies are healthy but i`m always looking for ways i can improve things for them and then feel i`m doing my best by them.

Su.x

if its any consolation I am having a similar thing with Trinny at the moment, she came last week from Donna with a bag of her 'usual' ( I think Donna said it was oxbow) anyway I am trying to wean her onto SS, which is what all the other 5 have, but she persitantly leaves the SS in the bowl :? She will eat them if I hand feed her (is she being fussy or what!) but if they are in the bowl, no way hose :roll: At this rate I may have to find a local supplier of her fave grub :shock:

Since my bunny has had her operation to be spayed she will not touch them, but before i had to cut her down has she could not get enough :?

Thanks Sally & Holder ( sorry i don`t know your name),
It`s reassuring to know i`m not the only one with "uncooperative" buns! :roll: :lol:

Su.x

I forgot to add if you do decide to mix a little fruity rabbit in,dont do this regualrly only do it until they start eating,as it is very sweet for their teeth.I did it for a week very small amounts in with the mix and a small amount of porriage oats this kick started them into eating their pellets. :D

We must be lucky. We took a chance and changed Flopsy's mix to Science Selective when we got Willow six weeks ago. We also changed Willow to SS at the same time (not sure what she was eating at the rescue). They both seem to love it. We do keep it to 50/60g max a day with unlimited hay and supplemental fresh fruit/veg. They do love their hay, thankfully. Willow has slimmed down a treat, as she was a little overweight when we got her. They are both in tip top shape with this diet. I think SS is supposed to be one of the most palletable pellets for rabbits.

Molly refused to eat Burgess pellets until she saw Piper eating them. Now she eats everything I give to her.

They both seem to prefer SS so I am weaning them off the Burgess now.

Mine wouldn't eat Excel so I mixed it in with museli and gradually added less museli, if they;re hungry, they'll eat it and it's for their own good, it'll keep their teeth down and make sure they get all the nutrients they need, whereas museli means they pick everything out!

I had a bunny that would only eat moist pellets so I had to mix them with a bit of water for her, in fact Fudge prefers them this way too but he gets them dry now he's not with Treacle!!! worth a try!

raven_guest said:
Mine wouldn't eat Excel so I mixed it in with museli and gradually added less museli, if they;re hungry, they'll eat it and it's for their own good, it'll keep their teeth down and make sure they get all the nutrients they need, whereas museli means they pick everything out!

Even though at the mo my lot flatly refuse pellets, i`ve cut right down on the amount of mix they get and they spend most of their time munching on hay and redigrass. :) So they`re getting plenty of fibre and their teeth are doing lots of work so i don`t think they`re doing that badly. :D

Su.x

Back