• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vacs on Sat - any side effects?

Fairy Angel

Alpha Buck
The buns are going for their vacs on Saturday. It may be a silly question but I was wondering if there are any side effects like us humans get? Thanks! :)

I don't think the myxi one usually affect buns much, but the VHD can. Evo feels under the weather for a few days after his, but other buns have developed a limp in one paw, and scabs / reactions at the injection site.

Yup, Rudy got the vhd limp :( it only lasted about a day and they can get a little scab where the injection went in too! :(

Lolly was groggy for an hour or so after the myxi jab (but I think this was probably from the car) and she was off colour for a couple of days after the vhd jab.

Which vac are they having? It is recommended that there is a 2 week gap between the myxi and VHD jabs - partly to allow the bunnies' immune systems to cope a bit easier (should be ok but just to be on the safe side) and partly because the vaccines are made by different companies so they are not licensed for use together. Some vets do give them together though, although personally I wouldn't recommend it :D

I don't know to be honest :oops: The receptionist was being a bit weird when I made the appointment, but I was going to ask the vet (who is pretty good) to do myxi and then go back for VHD in a couple of weeks. It's a bit awkward coz there aren't any other good vets round here, and I can usually only take them on a Saturday - O/H can take them in the week but if poss I like to go too (fussy bunny mummy that I am :? :D )

Fairy Angel said:
The buns are going for their vacs on Saturday.

Snap!

Molly is getting her myxi jab done and Piper is getting his VHD done and both are getting a health check (even though they both had them recently when they were neutered/spayed). I am going along to make sure they give the correct rabbit the correct jab. :roll:

I am wondering though whether they might refuse to do Molly's as she already has a scab (I think but hopefully the vet can confirm) from her spay injection. :?

Squidgy had his myxi jab on Monday, and was absolutely fine. He had some treatment for mites at the same time, and was eating away a few minutes after arriving back home!

My previous bun Bugs died a few days after his VHD last year :(

I didn't know it at the time but his squidy poos were due to him having pasturella out of control in his guts, and he had severe diarrhea after his myxi. I told the nurse this when we went back for the VHD, but she wasn't concerned and went ahead (if only it had been a vet...). Afterwards, while his immune system was further weakened by the jab, the pasturella bacteria spread into his lungs, he developed breathing difficulties and died on oxygen at the vets, within a week of the jab.

Injections do suppress the immune system for a time whilst the body puts all its resources into making antibodies against the new invaders, that is why it is best to have them 2-4 weeks apart, to reduce the impact on the body.

I will be keeping a close eye on my two new buns this time!

Back