• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help...poor malibu

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
poor little malibu is very very ill tonight . :cry: She has realy bad diareah . its green and just running out of her . she is just sat huddled in a corner . :? :cry:
Had her to the vet who has given her 2 injections and subcutanious fluids and weve brought her home under instructions to syringe fluids / avipro/recovery into her . but as soon as it goes in one end it comes out of the other .
vet says cant do anything else except more fluids .

should we leave her with her brother and sister (they are very close) or bring her inside where its warmer .

can anyone think of any thing else we could be doing .

She was fine yesterday :cry:

Angie

I have tried and tried to respond to your post Angie......6th time lucky I hope!! Personally I would keep Malibu indoors as she wont be able to maintain her body temperature whilst she is so poorly. If she is a baby Bun then the chance of her GI prob' being Bacterial is greater so seperating her would , in my UNQUALIFIED opinion be essential.
Fluids are what are going to be essential too. 50-100ml/kg/24hrs so it could be an 'up all night' job. I really hope your poor Bun gets better. Janex

oh poor girl - as temperature's going down to -5 supposedly she really needs warmth till she's recovered - can you squeeze her in? Also it might be contagious and they could all get it...I've heard that kaolin containing substance is the treatment for diarrea, but it doesn't sound like your vet gave her any as it's by mouth? It contains clay which binds it all together - but on the other hand if it's a bacterial infection I guess she wants to get it out of her body :?

It's unusual for adult rabbits to get diarrea proper, rather than just squidgy poos - did the vet take a sample of poo for analysis? or blood samples? Or check for worms? This article has some info about causes of diarrea (yes I know I can't spell it! :oops: ) Hope she's going to be OK - she must need warmth though rather than company I think.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

i dont know how helpful or safe this would be, please ask the other before/if you decide to try it. i have someold (50's) rabbit keeping books and most mention the feeding of shepherds purse to help control 'scouring'.
just a shot in the dark for you, i hope she is ok.

I have just posted a response under Moses topic similar to this. TJ got dreadful diarrhoea after eating kale and he was six months old and stopped eating. After treatment at the vet hospital for two days, they let him out when he was seen to be eating hay. He wouldn't eat the hay when he came home and so we gave him oats and then pellets, anything to keep his stomach working again. As he has had this episode, I do watch what he eats and try and get a high hay diet into him, with now only a handful pellets. I also try and avoid any vegetables that can bring on bloat, cabbage, kale, lettuce etc. He eats a good variety of veg still and occasionally as a treat give him quarter of a green leaf and he is fine on this. There are many other reasons that can cause stasis and it can vary from rabbit to rabbit, but it was the kale that caused TJs. Hope Malibu has a speedy recovery.

I should add, TJ had started eating before he was sent home and thats why we gave him oats (which he had had previously and was okay with) and pellets to continue his recovery at home. If Malibu is receiving out-patient treatment with critical care etc., your vet will advise you what you should feed him. Hay is obviously the best, but sometimes they might not be tempted by this after being sick, and you might need an alternative. However, check if your vet is happy with this.

i can't offer any advice i'm afraid :( but just wanted to wish you and your bunny all the best, i hope she gets better as soon as possible!

we ve spoken to the vet again . putting her on a drip would only do the same as we are with syringing water and probiotic .
it realy is a matter of wait and see .
im slightly more hopeful as she has lasted the night .
we lost rolo when he got diareah but from starting with it he was gone in about 10 hours and he was far more lethargic.

I hope she improves. Did your vet tell you how long you should continue the treatment at home with water and probiotic and when you should bring her back? Do you have to syringe water/probiotic during the night to ensure she remains hydrated? What has he advised about eating?

I am confused by the dates and times on my computer as everything is reading Thursday but it looks as thought Malibu was sick on Wednesday.
Is it just my machine?

raine said:
I hope she improves. Did your vet tell you how long you should continue the treatment at home with water and probiotic and when you should bring her back? Do you have to syringe water/probiotic during the night to ensure she remains hydrated? What has he advised about eating?

I am confused by the dates and times on my computer as everything is reading Thursday but it looks as thought Malibu was sick on Wednesday.
Is it just my machine?

My machine too. I keep starting to post, but then don't bother cos I don't know when the other post was done.

I hope Malibu feels better soon. :(

yes malibu was sick wednesday . we had to ring this morning(thursday) to see if we needed to take her back .
The vet trusts us to take her back if we feel she needs it.

She is much better tonight . moving around now , drinking by herself and nibbling hay/food .

looking more promising tonight :)

Angie

Back