• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello guys!

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Hi guys, am so glad I have finally found a bunny forum! Yey! :D I've had bunnies for just over a year now. I took on a friends elderly b & w dutch, Bugsy, he is 8 now. I was so naive I didn't know you couldn't keep bucks together. My fiance got me a baby grey dutch buck and before my eyes I saw the most beautiful friendship form, which now I know is rare to say the least. I had them both neutured and devotion is not the word. Baby George seemed to know that Bugsy was elderly and looked after him whole heartedly. But I was soon to find that bunnies break your heart in the worst possible way. George was plagued from day one with abcesses. In September last year he had a very risky operation to remove one from his wind pipe area. Then in November Bugsy had a stroke. He seemed to be doing ok. George had a bite it looked like, on his bum. They were both under close observation by the vets. George was on Baytril and I was sleeping downstairs to monitor Bugsy closely.

A few days later George started to scream out in pain. He sounded like a dogs squeaky toy and we all know that a rabbit screaming is never good news. I rushed him to the vet. It was late at night. The vet did an emergency operation and opened him up. The bite was no bite at all. It was infact the end of a branch from an abcess that had formed right inside. It was blocking his bowel and bladder which is what the screaming was for. By his time it was midnight, and my vet told me that this abcess was inoperable. He diagnosed a maximim of 3 weeks of pain for George and then death. Initially I asked to have the 3 weeks with him. Then he made me realise that this was cruelty and whilst my baby George was out on the operating table he was put to sleep. I have never felt such pain, or had to make such a terrible decision.

Bugsy has never recoevered from the loss. He has been tried with other buns but no one will replace his beloved George. Bugsy is a changed bunny. Georges ashes lie next to Bugsy's cage so they can still be together. But I don't think either Bugsy or I will ever get over the loss.

I have 3 outdoor bunnies also. Billie and Mabel and Lops who were the accidental fruit of my friends rabbits. I also have a Netherland dwarf bunny called Sebby, who was initally tried as a companion for Bugs but it didn't work out.

I adore bunnies. Along with them, I have 6 cats (3 are my partners, and we doubled up when we moved in together) 2 Guninea Pigs (not in with any rabbits), 1 Hamster and an ex race horse!!!!!

Sorry for the sad intro. Bunnies and abcesses are a big issue for me. Have any of you ever experienced the same things?

Can't wait to talk rabbits to you all!

Charlotte, Bugsy, Sebby, Mabel and Billie!

Oh no! You're poor George, that made me cry :cry:

I lost my poor baby George at a young age and I was devestated too.

Welcome to the forum anyway! There are lots of lovely people on here to chat bunnies with anyway, and maybe even find a new companion for Bugsy from a rescue somewhere?

Where abouts are you from?

The happy ending to my story is that I managed to find the two little rascals in my signature from a lovely lady called Jill who posts on this forum and she runs a small rescue... but how could anyone not want them :lol:

They have me totally under the thumb!

Thankyou Becca and Lynda. Your babies are really beautiful Lynda. How could anyone not want them. Believe it or not after I wrote that post I looked out the window (had left back door open today) and Bugsy has waddles his way out there and is sunbathing with Sebby as we speak???? They can't be hutched together though :? Maybe they can spend some time in the sun together. Sebby doesn't seem to like sharing a cage at night. x

Thanks for your kind words about George. xxxxx

hello and welcome

one of my buns midnight has an absess right now he needs to see a rabbit vet in the next 4 weeks bless him

Hi and welcome,
So sorry to hear about your little george. :cry: It must have been very upsetting.
Your buns in your sig are lovely, can`t wait to see piccies of the rest of your furry family.

Su.x

Hello

Another horsey bunny person :D I got an ex racehorse too :D I also have 11 bunnies - 1 of them is sister to Lynda's buns & 1 is their Dad :D

Hi guys, thanks.... Bugsy is the Black and White Dutchie and my beloved late George is the one on the right. Watch this space for more fluffies. Angie, what is your ex racer like, Woody is 17 hh 17yrs old light bay! I'll try and stick a link on to a pic

DSC01202.jpg

Thanks Tupperwarequeen! Its hard to come to terms with though isn't it. I know what you are saying and I comfort myself with that. Your bunnies look beautiful xxxxxxxxx

Aww poor George :cry:

Welcome to the forum! I love your nickname ... I'm cat obssessed .. just as bad with rabbits too!!

My dad used to horse ride and had his own horse for a while in the 1970s.

I love the sepia photo of the pair of you, you're both very pretty :)

Zoe x

Hey bunny lovers!

Hi everyone. My good friend Catswhiskas recommended this site to me! So here I am introducing myself and my bunnies - Burt & Sylvia! :D

Back