• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bunny's Got a Bad Leg!!

Hi
I'm new on here and am seeking some advice from you guys. My dad was putting Maddy (our lop eared bunny) back into her cage a couple of days ago and she twisted and caught her leg in one of the bars of her indoor cage.
Ever since then she's been holding it slightly but can still wash her face and ears, stretch, even run but not putting much weight on it.

I was just wondering if any of you have had the same experiences or advise us on what to do next....

Hiya & Welcome :)

I would definately get her to the vets in the morning as it could be anything from just a sprain to a fracture & only the vet will be able to diagnose this.
Is she eating & drinking & going to the toilet ok?

yeah she's acting exactly the same as usual, the only thing thats different is that she's holding it up plus it looks a little twisted.

we are taking her to the vets in two weeks to be spayed, so we will enquire then but if it gets worse we'll have to try and get an appointment.

Hey again :D

If it is twisted you really do need to get her seen tomorrow!! As if there is any kind of break leaving it for 2 weeks could end up meaning that she may have to have more surgery than if she were seen tomorrow because if it is broken & the bone starts to fuse in an incorrect position the vet may decide to operate where as if you get her seen tomorrow they may just splint it to fuse in a better position. Plus there is the risk of an infection if she isn't seen asap.
Hopefully it isn't broken but if the leg is twisted it doesn't bode well :(
She will also be in some discomfort im sure.

Im glad to hear she is eating still though :)

hiya
I would take her to the vets sooner if you can instead of leaving it 2weeks just incase it is more serious than she is showing- rabbits are good at hiding injuries because they are prey animals-it would not be in their best interests to show clear signs of injury because a predator is more likely to pick on them.

Good luck hope her leg gets better soon

kristin and Alfie xxxx

Yes, they will do it because they have too, they aren't like us ~ we can usually persuade someone else to do it for us if we are poorly!! :D

btw, worst case scenario & it is broken. The vet may feel that even splinting isn't neccessary or possible but will probably still want to give some anti inflammatories...

Back