• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infacol

D

Damo122

Sandy died today from gut stasis. The vet said that her gut was full of food and gas - she had been eating to much.

Should I treat Malcolm with infacol incase he has problems to?

He is eating and pooing ok.

I know that if i'd done this with Sandy last night it might have saved her.

Damien

i am so sorry to hear this :cry:

ifn your other bin is pooing and eating then there is no need for infacol, but its always handy to have in our cupboard!

Bonnie

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: but like others have said, there's no need for your other bun to be treated with infacol if he is pooping ok and shows no sign of illness. although, infacol will do no damage at all if you did give it ( as my vet tells me)

I am so sorry about Sandy. That is very sad news. I am not an expert but malcolm sounds Ok but if you're worried why don't you phone the vet tomorrow and ask their advice.

You really mustn't feel to blame. I would be very scared to medicate Jacob but I am printing off all this info so can if I need to. It's very kind of people to share information especially when it's so sad as it helps us all.

Sandy may not have got better anyway, but it isn't your fault so please don't think that. Your posts are full of love for your buns, we can't save them all sadly.

I hope you feel better soon about this and that Malcolm stays well as I'm sure he will. Take care.

Thanks.

I was in casualty this morning with a chest infection. That's why I didn't help her last night, I just felt so ill so I told my flat mate we should wait till the morning and see if she started to eat again. If not I was going to take her to the vet. He sat up with her for a while but I went to bed.

I went into casualty this morning at 7:00. I came straight home when they discherged me and when i got back she was really bad. That's when I took her to the vet.

I'd do anything to turn the clock back right now.

:( Damien

It wasnt your fault you was ill,you wernt to know she was this ill,these things happen :( dont beat yourself up,hope you feel better soon,so sorry to hear about your bunny

Ifacol is good, but it's not a cure all. We lost Dandy about a month ago. He went from being fine to death in 2 days, and we gave him Infacol straight away, followed by cisapride, followed by an emergency vet visit, followed by an emergency operation. We could not have done more, but we still lost him, so don't beat yourself up, you can't be everywhere at once, and chances are infacol may not have cured him anyway.

I think infacol only helps with certain kinds of statis, the kind caused by wind or bloat ( :?: ) if it's a gut mobility problem caused by a blockage or the guts slowing down for other reasons, it won't do anything :( but having said that, it wouldn't do any harm either.

So sorry to hear about Sandy. It can happen so quickly - we nearly lost Squidgy 3 years ago to stasis, but fortunately I was off work, so I spotted the signs quickly enough.
Infacol is a good thing to have in the cupboard, as is Kittymalt. If we see any of Squidgy's poos joined together with fur, we give him a tiny dose. There is a bunny first aid kit http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=792 suggestion here, which I've found useful.
Don't lose confidence in your ability to be a good bunny carer. Sometimes things are beyond your control. (I lost my beautiful Nougat to flystrike last year).

Thanks for all the support. Strange - I'm a Paramedic and deal with death all the time but one little rabbit knocks me for six.

I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it but i guess it's inevitable that I will although It does help to be reminded that these things don't always work though.

I guess I just feel that I should have been able to do something. I have all the stuff in the cupboard and I've been reading the board long enough to know what to do.

Anyway If anything good is going to come out of this I want it to be this. If anyone reading this doesn't feel really confident that they know how to treat stasis please search the board and print off all the information you can find. Make sure you have all the first aid kit items syringes etc and put the info re treatment in the first aid kit so that you know exactly what to do if you need to.

And finally don't hesitate. I did and even though it might not have worked I would have liked to have given her the chance.

I slept in the spare room where Malcolm’s cage is last night so that he had some company and I also put one of my old cuddly toys in with him. It's a cat I think but is about the same size as a rabbit. He's been grooming it a lot so hopefully it's comforting for him. I also put a warm water bottle in under the vet bed.

I'm going to spend today following my own advice and making sure I have all the info I need in case it ever happens again.

How old is Malcolm??
Rabbits can get grief when a bonded partner dies.
I know its soon,but dont leave it too long before you get him a friend :)

Back