• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits have run access at night?

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
For those with outdoor bunnies, I was wondering whether you lock them in their hutch at night or whether they have access to their run?

Our run has a lid on it so is fox-proof and it is attached to the hutch, so last night I decided not to lock them in their hutch. They were fine this morning (and were back in their hutch), although Molly seemed a bit more bleary-eyed than normal, like she had been partying until the early hours. :lol:

I lock mine in, just because I feel better knowing that they are in the hutch plus it means i can cover it over so they are warmer. I might leave them out once it gets warmer. :D

my 2 have access at night to their run, like the idea of them having 24 hour access, especially as they are most active at night.

Yep mine have 24 hour access, the run is fully enclosed underneath as well so I'm confident that it's foxproof. I have a sheet of clear tarpaulin that I roll over the top at night which keeps it dry, but they are often sitting outside late into the night (although they obviously do go inside as there are little bum divots in the hay in their sheds :lol: )

My 2 outdoor bunnies have 24 hr access but again the run has a top,a waterproofed roof and is on concrete so no digging in or out!!! I figure they'll have the sense to snuggle in the shed if they get cold!! :D

I lost a rabbit a couple of years ago. The run was on the grass with the hutch inside and the wretched fox dug under the run and took my little darling so personally I would never leave in a run, unless on concrete or with mesh on the bottom as some of the others have said.

Mine are all out all the time - on concrete - I love to sneak out at night and see them dancing around, chucking the flowerpots about - they seem to but much more active then - and when its cold, they snuggle up together upstairs :D

Mine are out permanently, but their run is enclosed underneath as well. None of them use the hutches at night to sleep in, but they do all sit on thop of their hutches to keep a lookout!

i would love to leave mine out all night but i am so para about fox's i won't, even if a fox cannot get in i wouldn't want it to scare the buns.

Alfie kennedy said:
i would love to leave mine out all night but i am so para about fox's i won't, even if a fox cannot get in i wouldn't want it to scare the buns.

I thought about that and then thought they would be just as scared if a fox came near the hutch and tried to get in anyway.

Didn't realise foxes were such good diggers though. Think I will keep them locked in overnight after all. Poor Molly will just have to party until 11pm. :lol:

Thanks ppl

Yep Amy has access to her run all the time. It's on concrete in the winter down on the patio + up on the grass in the summer. Don't tell Amy you cover the runs, she will want hers covered!! :lol:

I can't lock Zoe in the hutch because it's above the run and there's a hole and a ladder so she can always go down. The run is covered with polythene so she can see out, and has a plywood bottom mounted on breeze blocks.

The garden is walled all around so although possible, it's highly unlikely that anything could get in now, and she's been so used to coming and going as she pleases, I don't think she'd appreciate being locked in now!

I'm seriously thinking of saving up for one of those big dog kennels and run, they look awesome, they're secure and there's loads of room, but she'd probably miss her little run.

tmak said:
I can't lock Zoe in the hutch because it's above the run and there's a hole and a ladder so she can always go down. The run is covered with polythene so she can see out, and has a plywood bottom mounted on breeze blocks.

I have a feeling I have the same hutch as you :lol:

There's a little twist latch under the hutch to keep the ladder up on mine.

I can't shut my pair on the concrete in overnight, Lucky is a serial self harmer, I reckon he's claustrophobic, although he's got better since his sister moved back in.

I shut him in over night once and when I came down in the morning he'd chewed a toe off, right through :(

Mine will have permanent access to their run and I'll get a tarpaulin os some shape to put over the top. The base is concrete. We have no foxes in Orkney at all so thats not a worry, we're really lucky with that :)

Back