• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More teeth problems

maxbun

Warren Scout
As I posted last week, Max still has runny eyes due to his molar roots pressing on his tear ducts. The vet has stopped the eye drops as there is no pus in his eyes, just tears, and has put him on a course of baytril to see if this will help. He gave his back teeth a really thorough check and said that there are no spurs.

I explained that Max is not eating as much as normal - he isn't a hay eater, but now will no longer eat any veg except the very top of brocolli! He is still eating pellets, although not as many as usual, and is having a couple of teaspoons of porridge a day. He is also reluctant to take the medicine from the syringe - in the past I have had no problems, but he acts as though his mouth is sore. However, I have been mixing the baytril with his porridge and he has eaten it. The vet thinks that his teeth might be hurting because of the overgrown roots. Do you think he should be having a pain killer for this, and, if so, how long can he be given it for? I don't really like to think of the other possibility yet, but how will I know when he has had enough? :cry:
Jane

Back