• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry Skin! Help

That sounds as though she has mites. There is one type, I think it's called walking dandruff, that does look exactly like big flakes of skin, but it is actually the mite. You will need to take her to the vets for a course of injections to clear it up.

BISHOP said:
Can they get mites from hay!

Thanks Claire
Yes!! The dry flakey skin does sound like Cheyletiella mites. A course of Ivomectin injections should sort it out. Whilst your at the Vets you could ask the Vet to check Buns teeth as sometimes Buns get mites when they cant groom themselves too well. Buns with overgrown teeth often cant and nor can Buns with a sore back. So a course of Ivomec' and a Bunny MOT might be a good idea. :D :D Janex

Don't be fooled if you cant see any crawlies. My Rex had flaky skin, looked like dandruff, and he had mites. How old is your rabbit? If it is only young it could be its Mum had mites which she controlled and went unnoticed.

twilightpagan said:
:shock: Im itchy now!!!!Can we catch them off hay,I always end up covered in hay my self when cleaning out???? :shock:

That depends on how much fur you've got :shock: :lol:

twilightpagan said:
:shock: Im itchy now!!!!Can we catch them off hay,I always end up covered in hay my self when cleaning out???? :shock:
Humans can catch Cheyletiella :shock: :shock: You tend to get an itchy rash on your abdomen and forearms. I just wash the effected areas with Gnit Shampoo :shock: :shock: Seems to work for me.........*SCRATCH-ITCH-SCRATCH* :lol: :lol: Janex

JCO said:
twilightpagan said:
Humans can catch Cheyletiella :shock: :shock: You tend to get an itchy rash on your abdomen and forearms. I just wash the effected areas with Gnit Shampoo :shock: :shock: Seems to work for me.........*SCRATCH-ITCH-SCRATCH* :lol: :lol: Janex

OMG!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks Jane I dont think i want to no that :lol:

twilightpagan said:
OMG!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks Jane I dont think i want to no that :lol:

I always thought that they didn't live on humans, but we could be irritated by them when we pick our buns up. When Charlie has had cytiella in the past I've gotten a rash on my arms but when he gets rid of them my rash goes away.

Also, I forgot to say that whilst it sounds likely that your bun has these mites, buns can also get dry skin.

One of my buns went through a few months of very dry skin, a couple of skin scrapes showed that it wasn't mites and that it was dry skin. I started putting aloe vera in his water and it worked a treat.

Hi, we've just been to the vet with Squidgy about this. He was given some drops on the back of his neck, with more to follow in a fortnight. She scraped some of the skin off and checked it.
Hope you get it sorted.

JCO said:
twilightpagan said:

:shock:
Whenever I feed my buns or chinchillas with the grass mix from Bunnybasics I end up with a nasty 'rash' that looks like insect bites, usually on my belly/sides and thighs (weird place to get it but it's the short chopped stuff that gets EVERYWHERE). Took me ages to figure out what was causing it but it's always shown up a day or so after using the grass mix and stops if I put the grass away so I'm pretty sure it's that. Would that be mites or just an allergic reaction? I know I should just stop using the grass but I've got a huge bag of it and the animals love it so I don't want to waste it!
I feel all itchy just thinking about it now!

Karly said:
:shock:
Whenever I feed my buns or chinchillas with the grass mix from Bunnybasics I end up with a nasty 'rash' that looks like insect bites, usually on my belly/sides and thighs (weird place to get it but it's the short chopped stuff that gets EVERYWHERE). Took me ages to figure out what was causing it but it's always shown up a day or so after using the grass mix and stops if I put the grass away so I'm pretty sure it's that. Would that be mites or just an allergic reaction? I know I should just stop using the grass but I've got a huge bag of it and the animals love it so I don't want to waste it!
I feel all itchy just thinking about it now!

My vet told me that the mites can't live off the host for more than a short time so I doubt its mites. Its more likely to be an allergic reaction - try wearing rubber gloves or take an antihistamnine and see if it helps?

Back