• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something not right with Holly - UPDATED 5.00pm

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Morning all.

I went to feed the buns and attache their run, and Holly, whon usually races up to the top of the hutch for brekkie didn't. She laid out flat for a second, then got up again, went to the litter tray for a poo/wee nothing happened.

I put some pellets in my hand for her eat and she ignored them, she loved her food so this is unusual.

Usually when i attached the run she hops straight in the ltter tray and eats hay. She is now on the top part of the hutch just sitting there, not eatng.

She isn't grinding her teeth so i know she isn't in pain.

At what stage do i tage her to the vets?? when do you know if a bun has bloat?? any other reason why she is off her food and wanting to lie down flat and then get straight back up again as if to sa that wasn't as comfortable as she thought??

I know its very vague what i have written, but i really wanna know when i should take her to the vets if she hasn't eaten..and how do i know she hasnt eaten when she is living with Alfie??

Thanks

Bonnie

If I was you hun, I would take her off to the vets... sounds like there is something wrong with her tummy if she isn't eating, pooping or weeing... if she doesnt do any of the above in the next hour or so, I would try and get into the vets.

Try tempting her with her fave foods and try a tummy rub to get things moving...

Good luck, Im sure there will be someone her in a bit with more advice than I can give xxxx

Thanks Loopylop!!

I just went out there again and shw hasn't moved :?

I will do as suggested and give her a tummy rub...poor little girl, she does't look happy :(

Bonnie x

Awww bless her, do a search on infacol Bonnie... I can rem a lot of people using it, but Im not sure if it was for tums :? Might be worth checking as its something you could get hold of easily before the vets... xx

Hi Bonnie. It dose sound as though Holly has a Tummy ache. I would give her 2mls Infacol to start and some gentle tummy rubs. A sort of 'massage' working your hands gently in a head/tail direction. If her tum feels very tense and hard she may well need some gut motility drugs to get things going, plus some pain relief. If her tum feels sort of 'soft and doughy' but also 'fluidy' she may have a build up of gas which the Infacol/Tummy rubs should help. You need to keep her warm as she will not be able to maintain her body temperature whilst she is in pain.
Half an hour after the Infacol/Tummy rub you could try syringing some boiled/cooled water slowly into her (add a cammomille teabag to the water if you have any!!) After about 5mls of fluid give some more gentle Tummy rubs. Then repeat another 5mls fluids/tummy rubs. Then I'd put her some-where quiet and warm and offer her some of her fave veggies or some dandelion leaves.
If after an hour she shows no sign of improvement try another 1ml Infacol, some more tummy rubs and another 10ml warm fluid. If she is still poorly by about mid-day a Vet check is probably needed. Hopefully Infacol/tummy rubs/fluid therapy will help. Please keep us posted. Janex

Thanks Jane....

I have just been and got some Infacol, went to the hutch and she is in the sleeping compartment so she is defo not right.

Will start with the infacol now however, i dont think she will let me give her a tummy rub. tried to in the hutch and she ran away but her tummy felt soft, it actually feels no different to normal..

THanks alot

Bonnie x

well she i in the carrier in the lounge and hasn't come out...she hasn't drunk or eaten since 7.00am..prob longer!

Going to syringe some boiled water now just waiting for it to cool down...its taking ages!!!

She looks very sleepy :cry:

if i were you i'd get her off to a professional. something is wrong. i wouldn't try to self-diagnose, time is on you side at the moment coz you caught it so early, the sooner she receives the right treatment, the better. :?

Hope she is getting on OK.

Why do animals always get ill at weekends when the vets are closed!

Rabswood

thanks guys,

I called the vet and she said to syrynge feed her, hve just gven her some science recover, it kept getting clogged up in the berluddy syringe!

She ate it really well, she has aldo had two syrynge feds of water.

The vet said it sunded like she can wait to be seen until tomorrow morning!!!

Bonnie

IF YOU CAN GET SOME FRESH PINAPPLE JUICE ( PREFERABLY SQUEEZED NOT CONCENTRATE) THIS MIGHT HELP GET HER GUTS MOVING MIX IT IN WITH THE SYRINGE FEED .

HOPE SHES BETTER SOON

ANGIE
(SORRY CAPS LOCK ON)

Thanks Angie,

I am going to syringe feed her again with food and water in half an hour and then i am popping out for 2 hours so will get some pinapple juice then.

If she hasn't poo'd weed by this evening is it time for the emergency vet????

the vet didnt seem to think it was serious at the moment, i think by tonight it will be.

The had broccoli last night and im wndering if it was that as i heard it can cause gas or something?!?

BOnnie

A ha!! Brocolli, my Bernie got really bad tummy ache when she had that. All my others were OK though :? :? . Bernie did need 3 days treatment with metaclopromide/metacam/infacol/sub-cut fluids and syringe feeds but she made afull recovery. I would be inclined to get Holy to the Vets sooner rather than later. Hope she soon feels better. Janex

Thanks Jane, they had had brocolli before but last night i put a bit more in.

Well she is still in her carrier :cry:

if she is the same when i get back she is going to the vets. She doesn't apear to be in pain ie. grinding teeth, but just really quite.

Hoping she'll be ok later

Bonnie

Sorry Holly is feeling poorly. I do agree with everyone else though....if she hasn't improved in a couple of hours after infacol / tummy rubs, I think it would be better to see a vet today.

Hope she feels better soon. XXX

oh dear poor Holly - and why oh why do they always do it on a weekend? :shock:

Your vet is wrong to say it can wait though :?

When Zinniea was like this I got 100ml water and dissolved a raspberry rennie rapize (for the wind, like infacol) some probiotics (for the bad bacteria) and half an asprin (for the pain - have heard that it's better than paracetamol for them) and syringed a fair bit into her - she was fine after an hour or so - do try it! She loved the raspberry flavour too.

Hope Holly's OK soon!

Back