• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Single v Double Incision

Rosie

Warren Scout
Casper was at the vet this am for his checkup. The swelling is much improved. We saw the vet who did his castration and she was telling me that she has been seeing many more complications in buns who have the castration done with a single rather than double incision.

She told me that she is seriously considering going back to "the old way" of doing rabbit castration using a double incision.

Just thought people might be interested.

By that do you mean a single one in the groin and the testicles taken out from the inside. Presumably double is when they cut into the sacks and 'pop' the testicles out that way?

I think the second is more common, I didn't realise the other was a new thing.

I'd prefer the two incision version. It seems much less invasive and if they chew the stitches then usually it heals without problem as there is no pressure on the wound to open it.

Tam

Yes, a single one in the groin where the testicles and tubes are pulled out.

The double (as far as I understand) is where each testicle/tube is taken out of its own cut.

Casper is dreadfully bruised and very swollen and the vet told me this morning that she feels if she goes back to using the double incision this type of complication is far lessened.

It was the vet who did the op we saw today and she was horrified.

Our rabbits are all neutered with the one incision method - we have never EVER had any complications (many hundreds of operations) with this. Having said this our vet is obviously very experienced with this op. She also uses internal stitches and surgical glue so there isn't anything for the bunnies to chew.

Casper has internal disolving stitches and glue was used.

The vet we saw on Thursday said the swelling/complication is due to him having an allergy to the stitch material but she did not do his op.

Today, the vet who did his op, blamed the incision method.

Based on what you say I tend to think Thursday's vet was more correct?

Casper is fine in himself, everything normal aside obviously from the swelling and bruising.

I'm inclined to agree that it sounds like reaction to the suture material. He would have had this even if he'd had the op done the old way - only twice as much! :lol:
Hope he feels better soon, bless him. x

Thanks Donna :)

I just thought I'd write here about what todays vet said to see what you guys think.

donna-arc said:
I'm inclined to agree that it sounds like reaction to the suture material. He would have had this even if he'd had the op done the old way - only twice as much! :lol:
Hope he feels better soon, bless him. x
I have banned Old Bill from reading this thread!! Christabel will be havin' his plums in a couple of weeks!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: Janex

Back