• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hairdressing!!!

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
I know a lot of you guys groom your long haired breeds and trim them. I just wanted some advice for Treacle!! She often gets sticky bottom, mainly caused if she has too much carrot, but I'm worried with summer on it's way (somewhere!!) about her getting fly strike as she is very fluffy!!

Do any of you trim your buns around their belly/bum area? I would have thought that shaving it would scare her?! I have some grooming scissors that I use for her "skirt" and mane.

Any suggestions on how to keep her fur in check? :D

i trim my bun down below! :oops:

i use curved nurses scissors, with the curve facing away from the body whilst cutting. i go very slowly, cutting only a little hair at a time, opening the scissors the bare minimum to avoid trapped skin. i also place my finger under the scissors so if im going to catch anything other than hair its me and not my bun :shock: and pull the skin taught/flat rather than 'up'. two pairs of hands is sometimes a good idea too!

:D Thankyou!! The scissors i have are rounded at the end, they're designed for trimming around the face so they're kinda safety scissors. Will give that a go soon then!! :shock:

Buns shouldn't be shaved becuase there skin is so sensitive. And plus the noise alone would make them struggle to get away.

Good luck triming your bun.

Thanks all!! :D I didn't think shaving would be an option, but wasn't too sure cos the vets shave them for ops dont they? but i figured it would scare her!!! :shock:

Back