• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back to the vet :( *seen vet*

Rosie

Warren Scout
Am worried. Casper is going back to the vet this evening - I'm so scared its my fault :(

He got his castration on Tues and is doing fine, eating, drinking all is normal.

But last night I checked on the op site and his bits were a little bit swollen, just as I noticed the vet nurse rang to see how he is. So I mentioned it to her. She said to keep an eye on them.

About half hour ago I checked him again, one of the swollen bits is much harder than it was last night so I've managed to get him booked in at 1700 tonight.

I've done everything to try and make sure he is comfortable since the op, he's indoors and has a bedding of fleece which I've made sure he isnt peeing on, his toilet corner is newspaper which I'm cleaining out three times a day.

Have I done something wrong? He is enjoying his food, munching his hay and drinking pleanty.

I feel terrible in case this is my fault :( :(

You've not done anything wrong Rosie, sometimes these things can happen im sure it will be nothing and Casper will be just fine XXXX

Try not to worry. Your boy probably just has a haematoma (bruise) in the soft tissue of his...Errrrrhummmm...'boys bits'!! Localised inflammation can happen after castration, especially if sutures are used. I am sure he will be absolutely fine. Your Vet may just administer an anti-inflammatory so as bun is more comfy. What a nice Vet Nurse you have. Not many phone to check on the progress of post-op pets!! Janex

Thanks Phill and Jane :)

I feel a bit more reassured now, was so worried that I've done something wrong...

It was nice of them to call and check up on him wasnt it :) I'm really impressed with our vet actually, since moving we live in a village and I think the small practice which has a number of branches is a really good set up, they seem to know their clients quite well, they certainly treat us brilliantly, nothing is too much trouble.

Seen the vet. Had to get two injections and I've got drops to give him.

Back for a check up on Saturday morning.

My poooor boy, his bits are really swollen and one injection was in the muscle in his leg and it obviously hurt him. I felt dreadful.

The vet thinks he may be allergic to the stitches they used. Not gut stitches, disolving ones.

Back