• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen ear

Truffybuns

Warren Scout
I noticed last night when Truffy got on the sofa for her cuddles that one of her ears is swollen. I have chekced the ear and can find no scratches or abrasions and the inside is clean and not inflamed. Her eyes are clean and bright and her nose is dry. This morning the ear is still swollen though in herself she is fine, helping me clean her littertray out and hoover as normal. I have left her munching on her veggies and when I had another look at the ear this morning it does not appear to cause her discomfort if I touch it. I am just a bit concerned that the swelling hasn't gone down over night and I can not see a reason for it. Any ideas anyone? I suppose she could have caught it on something, is there anything I should be putting on it? Don't think they do a pack of frozen peas small enough though! (sorry if I am coming over a tad paranoid but she is my little angel bless her!)

It's definately just one ear? Is she vaccinated? One of the symptoms of myxi is swelling around the ears and off the ears. I'd expect you to see swelling in both ears and more generally around the head if it was that though so don't panic.

It could be a knock or bite. Have you checked the base of the ear/jaw as well as the flap? Is the swelling all over or is it like a bubble? Sometimes bunnies can shake their head and burst a little vessel in the ear and that makes a bubble sort of swelling.

I would think it's going to be one of those things that disappears in a few days and remains a puzzel but I'd get the vet to check it out properly as they can look right down inside her ear with a scope where you can't see just looking yourself :)

Tam

Thanks Tamsin for your reply. She had all her boosters done end of Jan early Feb so she is up to date. The swelling is uniformed the whole way up the ear but her head is fine. I had a "peer" down the ear and can not see any signs of redness or sores and it had a good wiggle which didn't appear to cause her any discomfort. My O/H is still off ill so at least there will be someone to watch her during the day to see if anything changes. If it is still swollen tonight I will zip her down to the Vets. It is nice to get some advise first as sometimes you feel like you are just being paranoid and the Vets will think I am being an idiot!

Back