• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple & Papaya treats

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

I can't remember who knew(may have been Elve?) but can anyone tell me the brand name & where I can get the Pineapple & Papaya treats for a bun to breakdown the hair in the gut?

Thank you :)

Thanks guys thats fab :)

I give mine asda pineapple & papaya anyway but friends bun has been suffering with bloat, vet reckons its cause of moulting so want her to try these :)

Mine have the Oxbow Pineapple and Papaya tablets, I get them through my vets. Supposed to be good for keeping the gut moving and helping with "sticky bottom". My two have one each morning after their pellets. Great way of encouraging them to eat out of your hands and come to you when called too! :D

wouldnt it be easyer and cheaper to give them fresh pinapple? :wink:
the reason it is incxluded in the treats is because the enzymes in the fruit help to break up food in the gut ( i think i recall reading it was recomended
as part of the treartment of mild impactions) and the fibre content help ease constipation and aid regular movment.

I think I get 200 tablets for £6-8? This lasts 3-4 months. If I was to buy pineapple to give them each day, it would not keep fresh enough for long enough to save me money. I would probably need to buy a pineapple a week? This would work out more expensive :D

lol. i ment give a bit of the pinapple which i assume you would have bought anyway.

sill, silly. Maxxev! never assume other people eat fruit! :oops:

I don't understand how/if they work, the fruit NEEDs to be fresh or else the enzymes will be destroyed, no? :? :?

It's the heating process of canning/juice pasteurisation etc that destroys the enzyme, so I guess they extract it for the tablets in a way that doesn't destroy it.

wouldnt it be easyer and cheaper to give them fresh pinapple?
In some ways yes, but at least with the tablets you could have them in a drawer for whenever you need them, I don't tend to keep fresh pineapples all the time. Also, fresh pineapple is very high in sugar, which could have an adverse effect on the gut flora of a bun which already has gut problems, so presumably the tablets aren't as high in sugar.

All enzymes can be denatured by temperature changes that occur during processing but many are easily reversed too therefore the enzyme will start to work again once the temperature is back to normal. ;)

The owners of said bunny are the type that will pay anything & do anything so I think they will be fine with the cost :)

Lovage eats fresh Pineapple & Papaya but Vinnie only eats Papaya :)

They both love it dried though!

AlisonA said:
I don't tend to keep fresh pineapples all the time.

Its really hard to get a nice pineapple here, theres only a small time during late summer when it seems you can guarantee a tasty one!

Gypsy won't eat the tablets or fresh pineapple :? fussy madam! Storm on the other hand would scoff anything he can fit into his mouth :shock: :lol:

Simba refused to eat pineapple too.. altho i doubt Nala would refuse.. its food after all!! :lol: I keep a few cartons of pineapple juice in the cupboard in case i need it.

leanne said:
All enzymes can be denatured by temperature changes that occur during processing but many are easily reversed too therefore the enzyme will start to work again once the temperature is back to normal. ;)

I thought denaturing was permanent?
I'm sure I've read from several sources that dried pineapple won't do the same job as the fresh stuff.

I think it's permanent for pineapple. Some denaturing is definitely permanent - egg white doesn't turn back clear and runny once it's cooled down after you fry it.

we use pineapple juice at work to unblock feeding tubes on some kiddies, and that is pastureised.

my buns have dried papaya and pineapple, I buy a tropical mix from holland and barret...they love it :D

By the powers of google, the active enzyme in pineapple is bromelain, which is a protein, so it is permanently denatured by heat. Perhaps pasteurisation doesn't reach a high enough temperature to denature all of it so there is still some action left in it?

In North America, my vet recommend a different brand, serves the same purpose, 1 tablet per week, 1 bottle 90 tablet last you almost 2 yr.

NuLife Gourmet Digest Papaya/Pineapple Chew

Back