• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could be wrong with Harvey?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

A few days ago my Harveys poo got very small and hard.

I took him to the Vet yesterday as I was worried that his molars had overgrown but he has only recently had them done. The Vet couldn't get a good look at them as his head is so narrow and his saliva kept getting in the way. I have to take him back next week for another check up. I explained to the Vet that I had given some pineapple juice and that had helped him and she seemed happy with him.

He has gone off his vegetables. He usually eats them every day. I cut them up small as he has had his incisors removed. He has only been eating his SS pellets and nothing else. I gave him some pineapple juice a couple of days ago and that seemed to help as his poo got a lot bigger but some were big and some still tiny.

What do you think could be wrong with him and why do you think he has gone off his vegetables?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

harv03.jpg

Hi Nicola. It sounds as though Harvey has a reduced gut motility. This can often happen if a bun has some pain some-where. He may well have molar spurs again, they really can reform VERY quickly. I wonder if your Vet might agree to Harvey having some pain relief whilst waiting for his next appointment. He might have a sore mouth, the pain from this causing his guts to slow down. It is important that he gets enough fluid intake, especially as he has gone off the veggies. I think if he were my Bun I would not really wait another week before going back to the Vets. I would also ask the Vet to check that Harvey does not have any sign of abscessation around the area where his incisors used to be, or any-where else along his jaw. He might also benefit from some Metoclopromide to 'speed up' his guts and hopefully make him feel more inclined to eat veggies again. Hope your Vet can help. Janex

Hi Jane :D ,

Thanks for replying. I took Harvey to the vet yesterday and she said that if his molars were hurting him he probably would be more likely to eat his vegetables and not eat his SS pellets as the pellets are a lot bigger and harder than his chopped up veggies. The Vet said she would rather look at his teeth in another week as she didn't want to put him under a GA unneccesaily especially if his tummy had slowed down.

His mouth looks o.k. where he has had his incisors removed. I wondered whether he could have had some tummy pain, trapped wind etc? His peg teeth have grown back tho and one of them snapped off the other day.

I wonder why he has stopped eating his veggies. I am worried about the little man as he is very precious to me. He seems better today and he has pooed in his litter tray. I am always worrying about him and think it is strange for him not to eat his vegetables.

Do you think he could be in some kind of pain and if so what kind of pain?I am worrying even more now.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Another reason for his reduced gut motility could be that because he is not able to eat hay he is just not getting enough fibre :? :? Strangely enough my 'dental buns' often go off VEGGIES rather than their pellet feed when they have soft tissue damage to the mouth (ie a spur has scratched the cheeks/tongue) I suppose some veggies might 'sting' a sore mouth :? :? . Muirne, who only has 'dead stumps' rather than molars :shock: cannot eat soft veg at all. She can manage the rooty tip of spring greens, but NOT the leaves. She can eat carrot as long as it is a big lump and not gratted. All very odd and the opposite to what you would think should happen. Also, the very last food for her to stop eating due to mouth pain is her dried mix...... :? :? Perhaps a trial of an anti-inflammatory for Harvey for a few days to see if his appetite improves :? If it does then I guess your Vet needs to establish where Harvey's discomfort is coming from. I still suspect it is his mouth/jaw. Janex

Hi Jane,

Thank you ever so much for replying. I do tend to worry myself silly and I really appreciate it when someone offers me some good advice. Especially as you have so much past experience with your buns.

I have some Metacam at home. Do you think I could try him on a little bit of this Jane? If so, how much should I give him and how often?

I did wonder whether it could be a tummy problem becasuse as soon as I had given him the pineapple juice his poos got a lot bigger but I suppose this does not neccesarily mean it is a tummy problem just an affect of not eating his vegetables.

He has stopped eating his veggies so that could indicate that it stings his mouth as you said.

Is Metacam ok to use and how much should I use?

L of L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

JCO said:
Another reason for his reduced gut motility could be that because he is not able to eat hay he is just not getting enough fibre :? :? Strangely enough my 'dental buns' often go off VEGGIES rather than their pellet feed when they have soft tissue damage to the mouth (ie a spur has scratched the cheeks/tongue) I suppose some veggies might 'sting' a sore mouth :? :? . Muirne, who only has 'dead stumps' rather than molars :shock: cannot eat soft veg at all. She can manage the rooty tip of spring greens, but NOT the leaves. She can eat carrot as long as it is a big lump and not gratted. All very odd and the opposite to what you would think should happen. Also, the very last food for her to stop eating due to mouth pain is her dried mix...... :? :? Perhaps a trial of an anti-inflammatory for Harvey for a few days to see if his appetite improves :? If it does then I guess your Vet needs to establish where Harvey's discomfort is coming from. I still suspect it is his mouth/jaw. Janex

Ditto, I know alot of buns with teeth probs that will continue to eat only pellets. It makes sense when you think about it as when you have toothache it feels relieved when you are chewing on hard stuff or clenching your teeth as the hardness kinda numbs the pain for a second...

leanne said:
JCO said:

Ditto, I know alot of buns with teeth probs that will continue to eat only pellets. It makes sense when you think about it as when you have toothache it feels relieved when you are chewing on hard stuff or clenching your teeth as the hardness kinda numbs the pain for a second...
Yeh, thats very true. Like you try to force the pain away by CHEWING HARD....... :? :? Janex

Back