• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vulture on the loose in Essex!

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I just saw on the news that there is a vulture escaped from a wildlife park in South Woodham Ferrers - just thought I'd mention it as there are quite a few members within vulture-flying distance of the vicinity, I don't know if it would attack a rabbit but I wouldn't be surprised, so please take extra care especially if you have an open topped run or have your bunnies loose!

:shock: :shock: Crikey!! We have enough problems with the flippin' Magpies. We certainly dont need a Vulture to join in!! Janex

:shock: Sounds Scary. I wouldnt think it would take to long for the vulture to travel far either, so could be any where by now!

It has a 5ft wingspan :shock: According to the BBC, pets aren't at risk because it feeds on carrion - mainly rabbits and chicks :shock: :shock: If it hasn't eaten since Saturday it wouldn't surprise me if it did try to take a small animal though.

They eat carion, don't have the skills to catch a healthy animal. I would be fairly sure there is no risk to rabbits. Definately not going to try breaking into a hutch so if your rabbit is safe from cats/foxes etc. it will be safe from a vulture :)

Would be impressive seeing it in flight though :D

Tam

That's good then :lol: I was just thinking that some people have open topped runs with very high sides/electric fence etc, and this wouldn't necessarily protect against an airborne predator. I've spent most of the afternoon in the garden with my bunnies and although I'm aware of what's going on around the fences, it wouldn't really occur to me to watch out in the sky!

She is gorgeous :love:

Was on local news yesterday & they are still waiting for her to come down from the tree!! lol

Back