• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw/Hay for bedding?

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Hello Everyone :D
Just a quick questions. Do you guys use straw or hay for bedding? I use hay so Pepsi can much away on it. Why do some people use straw, is it warmer? :)
Thanks Lou xx

I use barley straw for the bulk of it, it seems to be a bit softer and warmer, and easier for bunny to snuggle down into, but I do put hay on top of it for the munch factor.

Fidget has hay, and Daisy has a rug (she's in a crate where Fidget is in a big cage thingy). They're both indoors though, so warmth isn't an issue.

They won't have a hayrack (they just rip them down and chuck them about), so they get fresh hay in her little tray a few times a day.

I use Russell bedding in their hutches - finely chopped barley straw - really soft. Also lots of hay in litter trays and on floor - they seem to get through loads of the stuff.

I tried that hay, once but for some reason Pepsi doesnt like the fine chopped stuff.......fussy bunny :D

You have to be careful with straw. some buns eat it, and because it can be strong & sharp, it can cause internal damage. Having said that, many people use it with no problems at all.

Mine have straw as the hay gets soiled easier plus its not nice sleeping & eating your food! :lol: So lots of straw & they have a heap of hay in one corner to munch :D

Im def going to get some straw, Yeah i never thought of it like that, It must be like us eating are duvet :lol: The more she eats the less cosy it is, awwww bless her. :(

Bob's a house bun but whatever Iget him to sleep on he just chooses to sleep somehwere else that looks less comfortable. So far I've tried hay, newspaper, shredded newspaper and a cushion. He now tends to sleep on the plastic step in his cage!!!

Awwww bless :lol: :lol: they never sleep where you want them to, I have a cat like that she has about 4 luxury beds, but as soon as you put some newspaper on the floor she jumps straight on it and goes fast asleep :lol: :lol:

I gave my buns a nice vet bed in their hutch but they used to kick it away and sleep on the newspaper, the same with sawdust.

Now in my hutch i have loads of hay in the sleeping compartment, and then two litter trays overflowing with hay and the rest just newspaper - its also easier cleaning them out too as they are litter trained!!

Back