• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tobey has dermatitis now!

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
tobey now has some dermatitis under his chin now, it seems like one thing after another for the poor little fella! :shock:

ive got to try and get him to let me put a bit of ointment on the area (its where his scent gland is where he would be chinning things) twice a day for a week, he keeps on tugging at the fur there and its all bald :(

its only since he had his teeth out, i did a bit of research online and there was suggestion that it could be to do with him drinking out of a bowl, i thought maybe as he has no teeth now the water was running out and onto his chin?

i've switched him to a bottle now but he's always had trouble with them, so hopefully he can figure it out!

arrrr, poor bunny :( maybe a whole month will pass soon when he hasn't had to have a trip to the vet! he does officially hate me now lol!

poor little mite... its so hard trying to convince them we've got their best interests at heart :roll: What are the symptoms of dermatitis?

i know :( it makes it so much harder not being able to explain to him what's happening all the time! he used to be so good at going in his carrier, but this morning he just refused and kept wagging his tail at me (which he does a lot these days :lol: ) but after some patient waiting he eventually was enticed in by a banana ;)

as for the symptoms, i first noticed him constantly tugging at this bit under his chin (even without teeth :shock: ), so i had a look and it was all pink where i could see his skin, i took him to the vet this morning and after having a proper look i could see all the bare skin and it was a little red and inflamed, it must be so itchy for him!

good on you for taking him to the Vets so promptly... I'm sure the cream will work its magic then you'll be forgiven :thumb:

Thats just what happened to Maisie. She was getting very wet under her chin and it was knotted too. Anyway, they shaved her at the vet and we applied the cream and the redness and soreness went. I changed her water bowl to a smaller one so that she was not laying across it and getting getting wet. I have to keep my eye on the bowl and top up throughout the day, but it hasn't come back.

gah, every time i put some cream on tobeys chin he just proceeds to lick it all off :? this can't be good for him surely, and obviously the cream won't be doing its job properly :(

what i can i doooo :(

Back