• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hardiplank / Fibro for hutch? Safe?

I would love to build something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Th...ryZ20735QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(hope that works)

Its just too much money for a 14 year old. I would like to get dad to build me something like that so I was looking at material allternatives and I was wondering if hardiplank/ fibro would be safe. I can't find either of the words in a search on here and no information about the safety with pets.

Thanks in advance, you never let me down.

This might sound a little daft. Do you have the wooden sheds that we have in England or are most of yours metal? If they are not called sheds what do you call them?

This might sound a little daft. Do you have the wooden sheds that we have in England or are most of yours metal? If they are not called sheds what do you call them?

Good question...i didn't even see where toffeepudding was from!!

Thats what makes it a pain, most are out of colorbond (metal) but we do have some out of wood but they are hard to find because we call both sheds. Also they cost a mega fortune!!!!! If I could make one out of fibro or hardi plank it would cost about 100 and as you can see that one on ebay is 620 plus 200 postage, and that the cheapest I've seen anywhere. I can't find any information :( I can't just go ahead and use it not knowing :?

what's the climate like where you are? How many rabbits do you want to house? Could you make something out of pine or is that not easily available at timber merchants in NSW? Rabbits do tend to chew their house if they want to come out or want fresh hay - fibreboard containing concrete, plaster, glues etc might not be good for them to eat? On the other hand it might not taste as good as wood and maybe we should all use it? The only reason hutches are wood is because it's cheap and abundant, in the UK at least - metal obviously gets too hot in the sun, and fibre boards tend to be more expensive than wood here.

Back