• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
I know a lot of you dont go on the welfare page but ive just posted a link on there for pets at home, you can e mail them. Ive put on my web page the problems that Greenfields rescue are having with baby rabbits, it was posted by rab. Greenfields are going to make a new web page about why you should not buy things at there stores, theve cost them about a thousand pounds in vet bills and jabs for these babys .Please take the time to complain to pets at home about there inability to sell rabbits and g/pigs resposably. val

hunnybun said:
I think P&H's days are numbered for selling furries :roll: I do hope so.
I wish you were right but I very much doubt it. Why do you think that? Unfortunately the laws of supply and demand will keep them flying out of such places :(

Perhaps an email to the RWA too given that they have taken P@H under their wing so to speak........ :x :roll: :roll: Jane x

Extract from RWA Newsletter August 2005:

RWA 'advice days' have got underway at several PETS AT HOME stores. Our volunteers have felt it worthwhile to have such contact with the general public and be on hand to give advice, or to simply hand out our educational leaflets. An added bonus is the funds that have been raised, that can go towards the ever increasing leaflet costs. It was encouraging to speak to so may people who look after their rabbits very well and obviously love them, and generally I do think that more rabbits are better cared for now then they were when we first started holding stalls at public events, which was only 10 years or so ago. Sadly though I still heard tales of rabbits that had surprise litters, rabbits that ran away, and rabbits that were unwanted, so there is still a long way to go until all rabbits have a life worth living. :? :? :? :?

I think that more and more people are becoming aware of rescue centres and more and more people are becoming and are going to become aware that pets at home don't know how to take care of animals! and that most of their staff don't know much about pets!

people are already starting to boycott the stores if that spreads wide enough than we stand a chance of them no longer stocking our lovely little furry creatures.

I intend to hand out flyer's soon near my local store to make more people aware! People pay around £25 for a rabbit from p@h and other pet stores, they could get a rabbit from a rescue centre for around £30-£40 and they will have been neutered and vaccinated!

I am also going to contact my local newspaper to see if they will cover a story for me.

Have you read the Greenfields story?

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/news2.asp?newsID=65

hunnybun said:
I think that more and more people are becoming aware of rescue centres and more and more people are becoming and are going to become aware that pets at home don't know how to take care of animals! and that most of their staff don't know much about pets!

people are already starting to boycott the stores if that spreads wide enough than we stand a chance of them no longer stocking our lovely little furry creatures.

I intend to hand out flyer's soon near my local store to make more people aware! People pay around £25 for a rabbit from p@h and other pet stores, they could get a rabbit from a rescue centre for around £30-£40 and they will have been neutered and vaccinated!

I am also going to contact my local newspaper to see if they will cover a story for me.

Have you read the Greenfields story?

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/news2.asp?newsID=65
I so wish you were right but I'm not seeing any evidence of it. As an example, people I work with know I help out at a rabbit rescue centre (Greenfields) and I've shown them photos of Wally (remember the one with the walrus like teeth) etc. Yet the other day, a colleague proudly showed me 2 bunnies she had just purchased from a pet shop and was asking my advice............ :cry:

btw, what flyers are you going to hand out? Do you need the stores permission? Any legal implications?

I agree with Jill (the other one!)...supply and demand will keep them selling rabbits. Sadly even people who have been coming on this site regularly for a long time, have gone and bought baby rabbits from PAH :( I don't want to start another thread that will lead to an argument, as everyone has the freedom to make their own choice and we all know how hard it is to resist a cute ball of fluff......but if after reading all the information put forward on here about bunnies in need, people still choose PAH over a rescue then sadly what hope is there for educating the "general Public":cry:

Re: .

honeybunny said:
I agree with Jill (the other one!)...supply and demand will keep them selling rabbits. Sadly even people who have been coming on this site regularly for a long time, have gone and bought baby rabbits from PAH :( I don't want to start another thread that will lead to an argument, as everyone has the freedom to make their own choice and we all know how hard it is to resist a cute ball of fluff......but if after reading all the information put forward on here about bunnies in need, people still choose PAH over a rescue then sadly what hope is there for educating the "general Public":cry:
Yes i agree
Its very hard to resist a baby bunny or piggie,but i can go into any petshop now and look at them, but id never buy one,im very proud of myself for the bunnies and piggies ive rescued,when we were in pets at home a few months ago neil said i could have a piggie,and i said no :)
It was easy i just thought of all the piggies and bunnies in rescues and i knew not buying one was a good idea :D

luvabun said:
Just read that there are 168 P@H stores and that will be upto 250 in the next 5 years :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Unfortunately for people like Lorna at Greenfields that is far too many particuarly as many of them are located around her area, one reason why ARC and other rescues are frequently helping Lorna decrease her ever growing waiting list of rabbits which need to come into care :cry:

jrn1310 said:
luvabun said:
Just read that there are 168 P@H stores and that will be upto 250 in the next 5 years :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Unfortunately for people like Lorna at Greenfields that is far too many particuarly as many of them are located around her area, one reason why ARC and other rescues are frequently helping Lorna decrease her ever growing waiting list of rabbits which need to come into care :cry:
I'm trying to see the correlation between the location of these stores and rescues...... I need a map of stores and thats what led me to the directory. I was so shocked by the numbers.... if anyone else knows a better way for me to produce a map showing the store location, please go ahead.

I know we have 2 in coventry and i passed one being built in nuneaton on saturday theres lots round this area i think

Quinn said:
I know we have 2 in coventry and i passed one being built in nuneaton on saturday theres lots round this area i think
I (and therefore Lorna) have 4 in driving distance i.e. Reading, Wokingham, Farnham and Slough :cry: I'm sure its the same for other rescues but I really need a map of their locations to start my project going

A suggestion if this national pet store does not have a map, they will have a list of where all their stores are. You can get ones of these maps http://www.frappr.com/ and place them on it. I think it was Jeremy ages ago who set one up for the forum for members to locate themselves on.

jrn1310 said:
A suggestion if this national pet store does not have a map, they will have a list of where all their stores are. You can get ones of these maps http://www.frappr.com/ and place them on it. I think it was Jeremy ages ago who set one up for the forum for members to locate themselves on.
Sorry, just tried that and I ended up listed in Kansas :shock: :oops: I feel such a dunce :oops: :oops: :oops:

They don't have a map but they do have a store locator which has a drop down box with a list of their branches.

AlisonA said:
They don't have a map but they do have a store locator which has a drop down box with a list of their branches.
I saw that and thats what horrified me.... I now need to transfer that info to a map...............

Back