• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration on Tues **Updated**

Rosie

Warren Scout
I'm getting Casper castrated on Tuesday, he is a fit and healthy boy, the vet doesnt imagine there will be any problem.

I just wondered about afterwards. Will he be in a lot of pain do you think? Will he need any particular treatment on the wound?

Sorry if these are daft questions...

Aw, I'm sure he'll be fine. When Bobby was 'done', he was given painkiller at the vets, and I didn't have to administer any more. I brought him and his friend into the garage for a few days, mainly so I could bed them on something soft, so as not to irritate his wound.
He was absolutely fine, and recovered very quickly indeed.
Good luck on Tuesday.

I'm sure he will be fine. Storm was castrated and they let him home the same day. I was very worried about him all day, but as soon as I got him home he did a Binky out of his carry box :shock: and then started to eat. It didn't affect Storm at all, but of course, every bun is different. Just keep an eye on Casper, make sure he's warm, eating and drinking. Keep an eye on his wound. I wasn't given anything to put on Storms wound and he was fine.
It's a much less invasive operation than a spay. He might be a bit drowsy, some bunnies are. As long as he's eating and drinking try not to worry too much :D

Its not such a major op for boys and the vets should give some anti biotics / pain relief - just keep him warm and comfy and make sure he eats

Hiya! He should be fine, castration doesn't open up the abdomen so it's fairly minor surgery - just make sure that he has been given a painkilling injection at the vets before he comes home. When you get him home, he must stay indoors at least overnight, probably for 2-3 nights or more, as the anaesthetic reduces blood pressure so he won't be able to keep himself warm enough if he's put outdoors. For the first couple of nights, keep him on vetbed or towels, as shavings, straw etc could get into the wound and infect it. Some bunnies pick at their stitches, some don't. Keep an eye on the wound and if it looks like it's coming apart, he may need to go back to the vets to have it put back together (my Dudley pulled all his stitches out but the wound stayed together so it was fine). Many vets also use glue to keep the wound together. Try and encourage him to eat, offer tasty things like parsley etc, and give him water in a bowl as well as a bottle - the anaesthetic will make him thirsty and he is likely to find it easier and more refreshing to use a bowl. If he is not eating by the next day, he may need to return to the vets for some more painkiller, but boys usually recover fairly quickly. Good luck!

Back