• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Arrival Not Eating

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Lila was collected today and brought home, but she's not been eating.

DSCN0731.jpg

She's peed a couple of times but hasn't pooped at all, only eaten a few pellets and she hasn't been spotted eating any hay.

I'd think this is caused by her finding everything a bit traumatic. She's been through a lot recently and was only brought into the rescue centre last weekend, and we collected her this weekend, so she's been through a number of different homes, vets etc in a short space of time.

However, could it be anything more serious? When we got Bob he had bloat and din't eat anything for 3 days (we first thought that was settling in nerves). The last thing we'd want is for her to be sick.

Anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Dan

Molly was exactly the same. Now she eats all her pellets and plenty of hay, but it has been a gradual process to get her to this stage and I had to try a couple of different food brands before I found something that took her fancy.

I would'nt worry today as she'll just be getting used to her new surrounding and be a bit stressed with the move. Give her time im sure she'll be fine. Of course if shes still not eating tommorrow i would get her a check up at the vets just to be sure.

Shes lovely by the way :D

have you got any dandelion leaves to hand? when tobey wouldn't eat anything, these were the only thing (and i mean only) that he would eat, and i wish i'd tried it sooner! maybe you could try these if you have any?

good luck, hope everything is ok

That's what we think too, that its just the stress of the move and she needs t osettle in, though of course if she is the same in the morning we will get her checked over. She has been at the vets in the week so she should be ok on that front but will put our mind at ease.

It's a negative on the dendelion I'm afraid, just ordered some SS for the first time so hopefully that will arrive soon.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Rosie was the same when we got her she didnt eat properly for a couple of days and now shes a proper pig - saffy and quinn both ate straight away but i think it depends on the bun

I think it's just the experience of new surroundings, I'd try my best to give her a little space let her get accustomed to her new home.

Leave some bowls of food in and around the cage or hutch or room

and then if she's still not eating within 24hours I would seriously ask to speak to a vet over the phone

When Sophie first came home she shook to pieces through fear! She's ok now .. getting better and used to humans

She was visibily shaking when we got her home and out the carrier, but soon settled down and seemed to be setllin in, its just the food and toilet thing.

Thanks for the advice re speaking to a vet over the phone, better than giving her another stressful car journey if it can be avoided!!!!!

Actually the weird thing was when we went to work the next day rosie ate and pooed but for a couple of days she didnt want to do it with us around so leaving her on her own to settle in might work

When i first got Matilda from the rescue she was really nervous and if anyone was in the room she wiuld not eat. When she was left on her own she ate but as soon as anyone went in the room she would just stop and freeze until you left(and stood watching through the crack in the door :) )

so maybe she just needs time to get used to her new home and family

She's probobly just learning to settle into her new home. It's completely normal for a rabbit to be a bit nervous at first. Give it time, and I'm sure she'll be eating once she feels more secure in her new home. :D

bunnymadhouse said:
try and tempt her with some greens ...parsley is usualy irristable

Angie

I have GOT to try and tempt Binky with more vegetables. :roll: His diet is unacceptable, he's so fussy. :roll: I should try getting parsley, it seems like the type of thing he'd like actually. :D

Stress can cause rabbits too go into GI statis and not eating or pooping are some of the symptoms. Don't worry too much at the moment, just keep trying to tempt her to eat and keep her hopping around. Here is a link just in case:
http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm
"What To Do If You Notice Early Signs Of GI Problems
If you notice that your rabbit’s feces are strung with hair, smaller than usual or not uniform in shape and size there are several things you can do before getting extra-concerned and calling your vet:

INCREASE rabbit’s fiber intake: offer her a variety of fresh hays. Change or add hay frequently throughout the day to encourage bunny to investigate and munch.
DECREASE pellets for a day or two to encourage a hungry bunny to eat more hay (fiber).
INCREASE produce. Rinse it and offer bunny wetter veggies to encourage water consumption..
INCREASE water consumption to help hydrate impacted gut:
offer your rabbit water in a crock as well as water bottle; crocks offer rabbits a more natural way of consuming water, which may encourage them to drink more;
add a small amount of sugar free fruit juice, such as apple, grape or (our choice) Gerber’s baby “Apple Carrot” juice to the water for a day or two (change water frequently to avoid spoilage) and make sure to ask your vet about the use of fruit juice for each rabbit/case;
some rabbits will even drink a V-8/water mixture!
INCREASE your rabbit’s exercise routine. If this is a “caged” rabbit, get her out to run around your house (supervised) for several hours a day. Often just getting the body going will motivate the gut to function better.
Give your bunny malt flavored cat hairball remedy, 1 inch 2 to 3 times a day for 2 days.
If your rabbit’s feces do not improve within 2 days, or if they get worse(smaller) or stop altogether – or if her appetite diminishes – contact your rabbit vet IMMEDIATELY."
Hope she is ok. :)

bunnymadhouse said:
try and tempt her with some greens ...parsley is usualy irristable

Angie

Yep parsley works as does basil,My foster bunny bertrice was the same she came in very thin too could see her ribs,i did feed her by syringe for a few days with recovery,this sorta kick started her into eating,now shes fine,I also added a bit of burgess frutiy rabbit in wioth her food, :oops: I know its really sweet but i only give it in emergencys as it seems to make them eat.Well it worked for me :D

Lila is eating a bit better now, she's been on the parsley and a little bit of dry bread, and she is going to the toilet, so at least her guts are working, if not at full pace yet. She's been shaking a lot less too.

Hopefully she'll pick up even more in the next couple of days. Was just a real worry what with Bob having Bloat and all.

Back