• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on changing food

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
right... im thinking of changing Jazz's food over to SS hes on excel now and i have heard SS is better so want to give it a go :) anyway jazz is a really fussy eater and i know if i mix the food he will still pick out the excel.. :? any tips on changing this? :lol: :wink: :oops:

Try reducing the total amount of pellets you give him.. then he may be more inclined to empty his bowl. I also tried giving the new pellets to my two from my hand as a sort of treat to get them into the taste of them. Another alternative would be put it all in a treat ball then he might just eat whatever comes out regardless of which one it is :wink:

i found the treat ball was best they get used to it and then when they see tehy have got it in there bowl mine tend to get so excited! simple things ay!

Hi,

The answer is it depends if he prefers the new food or not :)

If he doesn't then he may well just eat the Excel but if you persist for a few days he's likely to give in. They just tend to go with it eventually.

Damien

if you do decide a permanent change, make sure you do the changes in stages as rabbit stomach are delicate.

So 25% New stuff mix 75% old stuff 1 week
50% to 50% 2nd week
75% new stuff w/ 25% old stuff on 3rd week
100% new stuff on 4th week

that what I did w/ my rabbit when I switch her from her breeder diet food to my favorite brand

It is recommended to change their food over about 10-14 days so you can do it a little quicker than that.. same combinations but only need about 3 days for each change. :wink:

I mix the two feeds in their dish,and gradually reduce the old pellets with more of new,it doesnt take me long either about a week,and iv never had problems with my bunnys,they must have cast iron gutts :lol:

I mixed the food and i was shocked to see tha Jazz had eaten all the SS and left the excel :shock: :shock: :shock: he now refuses to eat excel :shock: :shock: :D

Jazzy B Bunny said:
I mixed the food and i was shocked to see tha Jazz had eaten all the SS and left the excel :shock: :shock: :shock: he now refuses to eat excel :shock: :shock: :D
Thats what Simba did when i changed him onto SS.. guess its more tasty! :lol:

All mine have eaten SS and taken to it quickly with no problems i personally think it smells gross but it must tase nice

Back