• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits question

kahren

New Kit
Hi

Everyday I give my rabbits hay when I leave for work in the morning and when we get home it is all over the place. I have tried putting it in a shoe box and cutting a hole in the top for them to get at the hay but they just chew the box to bits. Any ideas where I can get a suitable hay feeder?

Thanks.
Kahren

I use a washing up bowl!

But they have a tendancy to go to the toilet in there when they get bored of their litter trays :oops:

I find that a "Roll-in-the-hay" is a good solution. It's like a ball mounted to a stand, and mine only tend to pull out what they'll eat. You still tend to get a bit of hay on the floor, but not nearly as much as when they had it in a bowl!

AMETHYST

I think hay feeders are depriving rabbits of the simple pleasure of playing with hay - better they chew that than stuff they aren't supposed to! It really is a great boredom buster, better than any number of toys - a great pile of hay in a large litter tray, with litter at one end, hay at the other, keeps my bunnies happy for hours - they like to forage naturally for the best bits, and they can't do that if it's in a rack. My piggies are the same - they go like moles under their hay and rootle out the juicy bits - looks so funny! It makes a mess but if you put it in their litter tray they should keep most of it in there, assuming they like to eat it.

Possibility is they don't like the hay and are chucking it around because it's not tasty - have you seen them eating much of it? Hay varies tremendously in quality so look around for one they like the taste of. :)

Jack's hay is in his litter tray in his dog cage and although it gets chucked around the dog cage it never makes it out into the dining room (his cage door is never shut).

It's all over the carpet when I get home aswell - even although it's put in underbed storage type litter trays :?

I just reckon they've had good wholesome bunny fun when I see it :lol: :lol: Easy picked up :wink:

Simba keeps emptying the box of hay i put into his cage and making a little bed to sit on :lol: I use an empty tissue box, a large storage box, and a rollin the hay to put their hay into but it still goes everywhere. The large storage box usually ends up as Nala's toilet too :lol:

Back