• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weaning rabbits

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Hi, At what age do rabbits get weaned? I have not had baby rabbits before :D they are just so adorable :D

They are two weeks today :D

I first noticed my two babies eating hay at around 2 weeks and they started having a nibble of the pellets at around 3weeks.. they will be 5 weeks on Monday and they tuck into the bowl of pellets and even push mum and dad aout of the way to get to them!!

I didn't have to do anything to wean them, just left it up to mum, Holly to do

Have you got any pics of them?? I bet they are looking really sweet now.

Sue&Sooty said:
I first noticed my two babies eating hay at around 2 weeks and they started having a nibble of the pellets at around 3weeks.. they will be 5 weeks on Monday and they tuck into the bowl of pellets and even push mum and dad aout of the way to get to them!!

I didn't have to do anything to wean them, just left it up to mum, Holly to do

Have you got any pics of them?? I bet they are looking really sweet now.

yes I do, look on my site in the image gallery :D

Elsasbabies13days003.jpg

If you ment when can they be parted from mum then 6 weeks but not rehomed till 8 weeks. They will nibble things on coming out of the nest and gradualy be weaned from 4weeks by mum.If there not pestering mum for milk they can be left with her till there rehomed, but dont leave them in if they are at 6 weeks cos poor mum will be wanting some peace from them. val

If you ment when can they be parted from mum then 6 weeks but not rehomed till 8 weeks. They will nibble things on coming out of the nest and gradualy be weaned from 4weeks by mum.If there not pestering mum for milk they can be left with her till there rehomed, but dont leave them in if they are at 6 weeks cos poor mum will be wanting some peace from them. val

its best to leave them with mum as long as possibal. the longer they are left with her, the fewer the problems assosiated with weaning.
as long as the doe shows no agression to the babies leave them with her until they are rehomed (8/9 weeks).

taylor v 109 said:

No...I just meant when do they start eating! I intend to keep them with Mum for 8 weeks. :D

Then Mum & Dad are going to their new home in orkney

Hi
When you home the babies make sure you send them off with a bag of whatever you are feeding - so that the new owners don't suddenly change their diet, and can wean them over to what they are going to feed.
It's bad enough for adult bunnies to have this done (combined with the stress of a move) but with babies it's even more important.
We always send adults with a bag of food too.
Looks like you and mummy bunny have done a great job!
Well done. x

Aw.... they are gorgeous.

Out of a matter of interest, what age are you able to touch the babies, I don't mean get out and play but just say hello ?

runnybabbit said:
Aw.... they are gorgeous.

Out of a matter of interest, what age are you able to touch the babies, I don't mean get out and play but just say hello ?

Ive always checked my babys the day there born then leave them untill they come out of the nest. When they come out its best to start to pick them up only for half a min so they get used to you. By the time there 4-5 weeks they should be handled every dayfor a few mins, its what makes them friendly. val

hunnybun said:
taylor v 109 said:

No...I just meant when do they start eating! I intend to keep them with Mum for 8 weeks. :D

Then Mum & Dad are going to their new home in orkney

They will start to nibble what mums eating about 3 weeks but there not normaly weaned proper till 6 weeks. val

Back