• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming

LeeG

Banned
Some questions on grooming:
- How important is it to groom a rex rabbit given that their fur is short and unlikely to get knotted up/matted?
- What is the best type of comb/brush to use on a short haired rabbit?
- If your rabbits groom each other, is it still important for you to groom them?
- Why do all the grooming brushes in pet shops look so vicious (ie metal spikes) or am I just being daft?

Thanks ppl

I don't groom any of my bunnies! They are all 'normal' short haired ones and they ordinarily don't need it. The only time they may need a hand is during a moult, but even then it pretty much just comes out all over your hands...and lap...and jumper...and sofa...

AlisonA said:
they ordinarily don't need it.

This is kind of the conclusion I had reached, as just giving them an attentive stroking seems to remove any loose hair and and little bits of dirt that they haven't yet removed themselves. But I read in a book that it's really important to groom rabbits regularly, even the short-haired ones and started to get paranoid that I don't even own a grooming brush. :shock:

Oh well, that makes two of us then :lol:

Actually I do own a grooming brush, I think I used it about twice, it just stirs up all the fur and makes me sneeze.

As long as you check them over regularly including a 'full body stroke' for want of a better term, so you can see if anything is getting matted or anything stuck, I reckon that'd be ok.

they dont need grooming as such but its good bonding and most short haired rabbits appreciate it! use a baby brush, it doesnt disturb too much hair and the bunnies love being tickled with the soft silky bristles :lol:

AlisonA said:
I don't groom any of my bunnies! They are all 'normal' short haired ones and they ordinarily don't need it. The only time they may need a hand is during a moult, but even then it pretty much just comes out all over your hands...and lap...and jumper...and sofa...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I made the mistake of wearing a black jumper when cheking the buns over this morning.. :shock: .. got covered in not only fur but hay too!! :lol:

I groom my rex. She's actually worse than my lionheads who seen to clean themselves a lot more. It's definitely helped her like me more too! All the others I brush once a week or once a fortnight. My friendlier rabbits (Flint, Polly, Alfie, Rosie, Alex, Sugar) get done quite a lot :D Cracker's friendly, but doesn't like being brushed - he bites it! :shock:

Jack hates being groomed - I've tried a baby brush, baby comb and a grooming comb but he flattens himself to the floor and then side steps away from me!! He'll leave it a minute and then come back and nudge my hand as if to say "stroke me with your hand not that rubbish brush!!" He cleans himself well and is short haired so I've given up!

Back