• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Can jabs for Myxi and VHD be done at the same time?

If not, how long between each one should I wait?

It is not advisable to give both Myxo and VHD vaccines at the same time. It is advised that there should be a 14 day gap between the two. If the Myxo vaccine is given during the late spring it will provide optimum protection during the summer months when Myxo is rife amongst wild rabbits and mozzis and fleas (vectors of the disease) are about. Janex

ok that's great thanks - so maybe I should wait eg to end of april for VHD and end of may for myxi?

Should I wait until Bob has had his done before thinking about bonding him with another, even if the other rabbit has had vaccinations?

I would get the VHD done now and the Myxo mid/end of April. I would not introduce another Bun until yours is fully vaccinated. Janex

Not normally,mine have just had their jabs done in time for summer,where i am we dont have to have them done every 6 months as we are low risk,for the myxi,its 2 weeks after having the myxi jab they can have the vhd,Vhd should be done 6 monthly as they can get this from mosquitos and flys. :D

Thanks, that's what I assume would be the safest course of action but I wanted to make sure.

twilightpagan said:
Vhd should be done 6 monthly as they can get this from mosquitos and flys. :D

i thought myxi should be done every 6 months but VHD was a yearly vacination :?

maxxev said:
twilightpagan said:
Vhd should be done 6 monthly as they can get this from mosquitos and flys. :D

i thought myxi should be done every 6 months but VHD was a yearly vacination :?
That's correct MAXXEV :D I think TILIGHTPAGAN had a brain/typing co-ordination malfunction!! :shock: :shock: I have several of them EVERY DAY...... :roll: :roll: Janex

Mine are all house buns, do they still need doing 6mthly? They will be going out in the garden in nice weather.Though not every day (cos garden smaller than house!), so will be in shifts. Garden is very enclosed & backs onto other houses.

:idea: Maybe I could have the buns who haven't had a jab in 6 months, have a booster in spring?

JANE!!!!!!

Angie65 said:
Mine are all house buns, do they still need doing 6mthly? They will be going out in the garden in nice weather.Though not every day (cos garden smaller than house!), so will be in shifts. Garden is very enclosed & backs onto other houses.

:idea: Maybe I could have the buns who haven't had a jab in 6 months, have a booster in spring?

JANE!!!!!!
Some vets recommend 6 monthly jabs for Myxo as the 'norm'. Others just if you are in a high risk area..ie if there are wild bunnies close by who could be bitten by fleas, the fleas transfered to cats/dogs/foxes and brought into a pet buns territory. I live in a relatively high risk area, near one of the Royal Parks with lots of wild buns. But my Vet recommends YEARLY VACCINATION given in the LATE SPRING along with strict flea control for Bun and ALL OTHER PETS. So I would get the Buns who have not had a myxo vacc for 6 months done again at the end of April and then yearly unless you are made aware of an outbreak in your area. As the myxo Vaccine does NOT actually contain the Myxo Virus but the Shorpe Fibroma Virus it is only a partial protection and as the myxo virus mutates (as virus always do) I suspect the level of protection given by the vaccine will change too..... :? :? Janex

JCO said:
Angie65 said:

JANE!!!!!!
Some vets recommend 6 monthly jabs for Myxo as the 'norm'. Others just if you are in a high risk area..ie if there are wild bunnies close by who could be bitten by fleas, the fleas transfered to cats/dogs/foxes and brought into a pet buns territory. I live in a relatively high risk area, near one of the Royal Parks with lots of wild buns. But my Vet recommends YEARLY VACCINATION given in the LATE SPRING along with strict flea control for Bun and ALL OTHER PETS. So I would get the Buns who have not had a myxo vacc for 6 months done again at the end of April and then yearly unless you are made aware of an outbreak in your area. As the myxo Vaccine does NOT actually contain the Myxo Virus but the Shorpe Fibroma Virus it is only a partial protection and as the myxo virus mutates (as virus always do) I suspect the level of protection given by the vaccine will change too..... :? :? Janex

Thanks
:D

Now I'm going to find my spreadsheet & see who needs jabs next month :D

Back