• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Difference between an Abscess and a Pasteurella Abcess???

Hi there,

Does anybody know the difference between an ordinary abscess (if there is such a thing) and a Pasteurella Abscess? :? :? :?

I suppose what I want to know is: can you tell whether an abscess is the result of Pasteurella because of the creamy cheese type pus, or do all abscesses contain this type of pus?

Sorry, if this sounds confusing.

Carol

To define what bacteria an abscess contains a sample of the pus would need to be cultured for microscopy. Pasteurella may be one bacteria identified but there are many others. To ensure the correct antibiotic therapy is given antibiotic sensitivity tests need to be done. Janex

Thanks Jane,

Does pus have the same consistancy though? My vets diagnose both Billy and Bounty with Pasteurella Abscesses every time they go. Because both Billy and Bounty's abscess were near the jaw, they were both x-rayed to see if they were connected to their teeth, however this was ruled out. Should they x-ray their jaws everytime an abscess occurs and I take them to the vet, or will just the first x-rays suffice? Personally, I would think that they should be x-rayed all the time, to see if there has been a changed in their teeth, however, my vet advises against this. Also, if Bounty has reoccuring abscesses around the left hand side of his jaw, surely this is an indication that it is something to do with his teeth?

Incidentally, I have changed vets and this vet apparently has a good reputation in rabbit care.

What do you think?

Carol

The consistency of the pus has nothing to do with the bacteria involved. The ONLY way to identify the bacteria is by growing a culture from a sample of the pus. Recurrent Jaw abscesses are often tooth root related but repeated X-rays are not going to change the treatment protocol, will mean repeated GAs and lots of stress for the Bun. If the effected Bun were mine I would ask for a swab from the abscess cavity to be sent for analysis and at least then the most appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed. But if the infection has already penetrated the bone then a 'cure' is unlikely without radicle surgery (that I would NOT put a Bun of mine through) and it is a case of trying to contain the abscess with longterm antibiotics/pain relief/flushing out of abscess. Janex

Thanks again, Jane,

In the unfortunate event of Bounty or Billy suffering another abscess, I will ask my vet to analyse the pus. I was of the same opinion as you, with regards the jaw abscesses.

Carol xx

all abcesses contain pus, thats what they are, pus in rabbits is 99%of the time the cream cheese type! it is unique to rabbits that consistency (eeewwww) :?
because of these being re-occuring abcesses on the jaw it shouts of teeth/bone problems to me. i would say 100% of the jaw abcesses we see in practice are related to the teeth and bone, i dont think ive seen them there for any other reason truthfully. i would definately advise a follow up xray/swabs (and possible a new vet?)

Back