• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reassurance needed re: spaying...

helenlop2

Young Bun
Hi all,

I've read several posts recently about spaying and I guess I need some reassurance.

We have our french lop booked in next Tuesday to be spayed. Hard decision to reach after having lost our boy bun earlier this year when he went for a dental. After chatting to a new vet, we are going along with Thumper to see them next week and subject to her being cleared healthwise, she will be done the same day, kept in overnight and we can have her back the day after all being well. I have asked for a "rabbit" vet and am getting the one we used to deal with before he moved to this new vets. Its not that I don't trust the old vet but have just lost a bit of confidence in them.

Trouble is, now that it's coming round quickly, I'm having doubts as to whether I'm doing the right thing!!! Is there anything else I should have done regarding the vets to ensure she gets the best possible care? She hasn't been re-bonded yet so doens't have a mate to go in with her.

Any advice appreciated...

Helen :?

Hiya. I am in the same state of anxiety about Millie who is being spayed tomorrow. It really is better in the longterm for a Doe to be spayed. All the statistics show that the risk of Uterine Cancer far outways the risks associated with a GA. But of course you will be worried as I am about Millie. I think that as long as your Vet is familiar with spaying Rabbits, about the post-operative care aswell as the actual op'. I think you have done everything possible to ensure your Bun is treated by a Rabbit savvy vet. I would just ensure that there will be a Vet Nurse on duty ALL NIGHT if you Bun is to be kept in over-night. You could take a familiar toy in with her, something that smells like home!! I have even left one of my T-shirts with singleton Buns who have had to be admitted to the Vets!! Janex

Thanks Jane,

I'll ask to establish if there is someone on duty all night. Whilst it's worrying, I'll also be glad to have her come through it becasue we can then find her a new boyfriend which will make her happy again.

Good luck with Millie and thanks for the reassurance!

Helen

I had Daisy spayed last week,she didnt eat for a day and i got worried,but shes all better now and its over and done with,plus if its not done when they are older they can be more prone to cancer.
If your vets a good one Id go_Once the rabbit gets past 3 years old its dangerous,my daisy is 8 months old,she didnt even touch her stitches like i thought she would,shes been very good,and im glad iv had it done now. :D

Thanks twilightpagan

Good to hear Daisy's well on the road to recovery as I have been following your posts about her operation.

I guess they all recover differently. I think we will keep Thumper in for a couple of nights especially if it's cold and if she will tolerate it. I know we wont have a hope of getting her to wear a collar if she has too...she'll have it off in seconds.

Thanks for your comments, I know it is the right thing to do!

Helen

thinking of you and thumper.

Did you read my posts about Poppys spaying last week? Shes her usual self now, and I hope to get a mate for her so it will have been worth it!

It is worrying, you sound like you are very prepared, I'm sure she will be fine - let us know how you get on

big hugs

Emma and Poppy :thumb:

The only problem with coming on here is that often things that worry people come up a lot and it makes you worried about things. The point is that these problems that owners post seem to be repeated so it looks like its common but in reality because the owners on here are spread throughout the country you should keep it in perspective, problems with ops are not that comon so dont worry to much. All of us that do rescueing can tell you we have large numbers of rabbits done and its rare to have complications.The majority of rabbits come through there ops fine. Does are going to take a couple of days to feel better because its a bigger op.If the vet is keeping her in overnight then its fine when you get her home she should be up to nibbling something tasty. :D val

Back