• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Working and bunnys???

I was wondering,I dont work at the moment,as My youngest daughter is only 3.The thing that worries me is In the future i will go back to work,what will happen in the summer time?how do people cope as obviously you cant keep the bunnys couped up all day in a hutch as it will be like a furness? :shock: :shock: ,do people leave them in the run before they leave for work??was just wondering what people do?? :)

My rabbits will have access to the run every day - it has a top on it so they are safe. If it is raining I find they stay indoors and it is under the shade of a tree so they shouldn't get too hot in summer.

At the moment only my boy rabbit (Piper) has access as he is in the ground floor apartment while Molly is upstairs but I am hoping to bond them this weekend and open up the whole hutch to both of them. :shock:

My two go out in the run every morning before i go to work, it has a shelter at the back and a cover for when it rains.

its secure and i wouldnt like to leave them cooped up all day in the hutch

My bunnies are in secure enclosures which they live in all year round.

Mine have runs attached to their sheds via cat flaps, they are fox proof so I leave them out with access all the time. I have a lovely piece of clear tarpaulin which I roll over the top at night and also keep over if it's a rainy day. If you can't attach runs to the hutches somehow, then make sure any runs you do have are totally foxproof (i.e. they have a base as well as a fixed lid that it can't scrabble off, and are made of welded mesh) and also the bunnies will need somewhere suitable to go into to get away from sun/rain/wind etc. Ideally though I'd form it so they are attached to the hutches (even if you still want to close them off at night), so that the bunnies still stay in their familiar environment and can come and go into their hutches as they please.

Amy has a run attatched to her hutch so she has this all year round. Princess lives in a shed and in summer door is open all day (I have an inner door made of mesh like a stable door). I now have a spare hutch + run and I'm thinking of putting Princess in that during the day in the summer so she can sunbathe and munch on the grass!

I have a run attached to a double decker hutch. The run attached is covered with clear perspext so they can be outside but dry at the same time - they love it.

When i first got Alfie he was left in a hutch all day but came out before and after work. I used to feel really guilty!!! I then put him in a 5x3 run which actually wasn't safe to do as the mesh was flimsy!

I would attach a run to your hutches!

twilightpagan said:
Thanks guys,any piccys???? :D

Here's my playhouse and run set up :D Rob and Moosie go out to this during the day when we work, and come in at night time. :D

Picture04456web.jpg

Inside has levels for them to play, and their big hay box goes out with them :D

Picture029.jpg

:shock: wow! Lynn I love your bunnies set up! that's so cool! :D my bunnies are house bunnies so live free range in my bed room at the moment. I will be getting them a big run for the garden ( if Gypsy can ever get over her fear of the out doors, bless her) but would never leave them unattended, I'm too worried about people letting them out or dogs coming into the garden. If I do evenchally go out to work, it will be part time, so plenty of time for my bunnies still :D

Lynn said:
twilightpagan said:
Thanks guys,any piccys???? :D

Here's my playhouse and run set up :D Rob and Moosie go out to this during the day when we work, and come in at night time. :D

Picture04456web.jpg

Inside has levels for them to play, and their big hay box goes out with them :D

Picture029.jpg

Wow :D thats wonderful,what a inspiration :D So have you got cat flaps either side?so they can get to the run?
May i ask how much the play house cost?
Thing is my little daughter will want that :lol:

The playhouse was about £160 from B&Q - couple of years ago now - we've repainted it since it was bought :D

The runs are a mixutre of wooden frames / trellis / pws panels, and sturdy mesh :lol: My hubbie made both of the runs, and the levels etc inside the playhouse :D

There's a cat flap at one side - the other side is just a small hole, which we were always going to put a flap on, but didn't get round to it :oops: They use this side much more, so maybe prefer the hole to the cat flap :wink: They're never out overnight or in the bad weather anyway :wink:

Here's the original link when the playhouse was done - not sure if you can see the sides a bit clearer :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=5560&highlight=playhouse+made+fun

WOW that is fantastic!!! I would love something like that but I have such a small garden .... in a couple of years when we move house though... :D

Wow!! When we get a place with a garden I'd love to have a setup like that! I'd still like the bunnies to be house bunnies, but in nice sunny summer weather they could play out there all evening! :)

AMETHYST

pics

what a fantastic set up Lynn- it has certainly given me some ideas- I am also thinking of how to set up a run right now.
ps- I am also from Dundee originally.

That is so cool!

I think I will have to paint my bunnies' hutch a nice colour - once the rain stops of course. :(

Back