• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not sure what i'm asking, tobey seems depressed

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
this is a little long, so i apologise in advance!

tobey's had a lot of problems in his little life over the last 8 months, what with me being told he was female originally when i brought him home with his sister, and obviously having to separate them, then having his neutering, then going in for myxi vac, then back and forth for teeth burring, then being hospitalised due to not eating, then having his teeth removed, then having his VHD vaccine!

in between all of this there was an unsuccessful bonding experience with another bun, and he seems to get very stressed when out of his own environment.

basically, up until he had his VHD vaccine just over a week ago, he has seemed pretty quiet, he used to circle me and honk (even ages after being neutered) and binky about the place at least once or twice a day, but now i haven't seen him binky for ages :( and the circling and honking is totally gone.

he has never been that keen on me stroking him when he wasn't already "chilling out" but lately he has been shaking his tail at me when i go to stroke him, rather than just running away. i don't fuss over him as i know he doesn't like it, so i'm wondering why i suddenly annoy him so much! he still enjoys a petting now and again, but since he had his incisors removed he has done less of the teeth grinding and i've noticed his jaw "chattering" every now and again when i stroke him.. surely he can't be in pain? he shows no other signs of being in pain.

he is still eating as normal, pooing as normal, but he seems to be cleaning himself incessantly all the time. i get the feeling he must be bored, i'm not sure if it's a social thing or not as i still spend the same amount of time with him, and he's not paying much attention to me these days one way or another either. i'm not sure whether to try bonding again or not, as he didn't really seem to pay much attention to the bun we tried him with, and i really hate stressing him out so much with car rides and god knows what else after everything he's been through!

has everything just built up for him? or is it just that he's grown out of his teen stage now (he's 1 at the end of may)? is he bored? i try to give him something new to do each day, but it doesn't keep his interest for long.

help!

thanks in advance xx

i wen through the same with gizzy and bailey . They are now 8 months old and used to be crazy little things . They are both neutered but had to be seperated as they were fighting despite being done . They are still together but have a wire fence between them so they can still see each other . They spend alot of time sleeping and still play a little but not as much as they used to . They are growing up basically and I saw that with all my previous bunnies . What you could try tho is loads of chewy stuff such as straw mats , hats etc , wicker baskets filled with hay and treats , cardboard boxes etc ,, they seem to enjoy chewing all day long and are both fairly happy . saying that tho , all the trips to the vets for the poor lad will have knocked him sideways so give him time to adjust from that. As for the teeth chattering , its hard to say if thats coz he is enjoying being petted or a pain reaction . It may be worthwhile mentioning to the vets.

My hare does the teeth chattering thing when hes being stroked , think its pleasure its not the same as teeth grinding meaning pain. Some bunnys do go all lazy and quiet after a while when theve been done. The hormones have gone so hes not hyped up :lol: . You know your bunny so if your sure hes not unwell its that. I would think about a girl for him again. val :D

depressed?

I was wondering if it could possibly be an age thing too- is this not his adolescent bit?

Squidgy spends ages cleaning too - he's got no front teeth either. I thought that it may be because he can't groom himself as thoroughly without teeth. I always give him a helpin hand wih his grooming about once a day. Much to his disgust!

Back