• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Home For My Boys... Advice Wanted...

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
I will be fleeing the nest in the next few months which means my bunnies may no longer be able to be house buns :(

At present, they live in a dog crate. This may be a stupid question, but if I move them into a shed in the garden, will they still be able to live in their crate or will they need extra protection from the elements?

I worry way too much about my little guys and don't want them to be cold if they have to live outside!

it would be best to give them a cosier environment . A good outdoor hutch , even if inside a shed is better as a dog crate is a bit too open to draughts .

Get a hutch like mine :-D i wouldnt have thought a dog crate would be that warm outside even in a shed but maybe you could make a sort of wooden box to go round it so the sides and top are more protected - should be relatively cheap to do and provide almost as much protection as a hutch - throw in a couple of snugglesafes and lots of hay and straw and it should be cosy

maxxev said:
why will they be unable to continue being house buns lynda?

I am going to be moving in with a friend. Not checked out the size of the bedrooms yet although there are only 2 rooms so I think its inevitable that the boys are going to be out in the garden.

Like the idea of making a box to go around the crate Jo! Will save me buying a new cage!

Its weird really anyway quinn used to always sit in the open part of his hutch and now the girls do too they dont seem to spend a lot of time in the warm bedroom

bluebunny said:
Well some bunnies just live in sheds and have pet carriers as houses,so if you put a cardbord box in there cage so they have a hidy hole they should be fine,only one of my 3 pairs have a hutch in there puppy pen
see here
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=17974

Are you not moving with your mum now?

Thanks for that! I will make sure they have somewhere to shelter and put the dog crate in the shed.

Not moving with Mum now, she's agreed to give me the financial support if I get desparate, but think it is a good opportunity to leave home! Plus my little sister is having a baby in June so she'll be needing me as if I go she'll have no other family left round here.

Slightly scary thought but I'll have my mate living with me and she's like a big sister to me!

Back