• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

absess in eye

elaine

Mama Doe
I have had a rabbit come into me this week and it now has a extremely sore eye, under its top eye lid seems to be a red lump that is coming down into the corner the eye is very gungy and swollen, I am wondering if it could be a absess and if so what is the treatment I will be taking her to the vet this week at the mometn I am bathing with salt water and putting fucifalmic in

the red lump your seeing may just be hugely swollen conjunctiva, ie/ the eyelid inverting on itself because of all the swelling. its good to bathe the eye and use fucithalmic (as long as its not older than 28 days opened!), but dont use salt water, use plain cooled boiled water only. it sounds more like conjunctivitis, abcesses tend to be 90% of the time behind the eye and dont show 'lumps' on or near the eye, just the signs of pus, general swelling etc but i guess you couldnt rule it out completely. is there any pus/discharge from the nose also?

maybe she's poked herself on some straw or something?
id keep bathing it, but you can never be too careful with eyes so get her vet checked as soon as, but im sure you would anyway :D
hope shes ok!

PLEASE DO NOT WASH THE EYE WITH SALT WATER!!!!!!!!

though salt is anti bacterial you can agrivate the inflamation and make the whole thing much worse. wash around the area of the eye with cooled boiled water to remove any discarge and apply fucifalmic (?spelings not my strong point) twice a day.

vets appoint goes without saying. :wink:

No under no circumstances should you be washing the eye with salty water.

The eye is a very delicate organ & has a fine balance of chemicals & correct percentage body salt within the eye. By applying this salty solution you are likely to destroy the eyeball & cause excruciating pain.

The only stuff you can use on the eye is Optrex solution which has the correct percentage sodium/pH suitable for eyes. Or cooled boiled water, as suggested.

Apart from that you should seek veterinary attention within 24 hrs.

By delaying this it could mean the rabbit loses the eye altogether.

If it is an abscess, then the vet will need to give you painkillers for the rabbit.

Back