• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy update - shes been spayed -advice..?

poppy180

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

sorry I haven't been on for a while, been very busy with work/bunny and possibly buying a new house!!

I finally got the courage to get Poppy spayed on Friday. After sorting out her diet (no weetabix - less dried food and introduced leafy carrot tops).

After I brought her back from the vets she was understandably tired, but had eaten some of the food id left with her at the vets while she was there. Kept her in her carrybox overnight, and gave her a couple of carrot tops which she ate - so all was going well.

Mid morning Saturday - let her have a little wonder around the lounge, when i noticed very runny poos in her box - cleaned it out, put her back in and fed her hay - she only managed a bit.

kept her in her box last night, took her out today for a little wonder in her outside hutch - but left carry box over the stairs. She frantically tried to get behind/over/under the box :twisted: to go to her 'paper shredding factory' downstrairs in her hutch. I didn't want her to injure herself so took box away and let her stay in her hutch a bit.

Runny seems to have stopped, and shes eating abit more hay. Put her back in her carrybox tonight to be inside again - which she objected to but now seems to have settled. Vets want her back tomorrow eve for a check up on the wound which will put me at ease.

A couple of questions if you don't mind-

The nurse on Friday advised me to only keep her inside one night as she may get too used to the warm - is this correct? I want to keep her inside a few nights until shes her normal self and thats why I put her in her hutch today to ease her into the outdoors.

how can I hold her - gently without hurting her wound as she scrabbles when held to check her stiches?

were the runny poos due to the op? :roll:

any advice would be appreciated

thank you

poppy and emma
xoxo

ps shes been drinking lots of water which I'm glad about as I read previously they need this after the op :D :D

DSC00067.jpg

Just had my bunny spayed on thursday,my vet told me to keep Daisy in 10 days,as she mustnt be on straw or hay,as it will iritate the wound.You can pick up your bunny,she will be ok.Runny poos maybe the cecals have been trod on,they cant reach to their bums to eat them at the moment because it hurts them to bend right down,my daisy has had a few of these,are they really runny???If so you can give more hay and pellets and stop the vegs for a day or 2.
Hope this has helped you a bit,its a real worry,keep us posted

I had Molly spayed 9 days ago. We kepy her inside for a few days - at first because the anaesthetic means they can't regulate their own body temperature and then because she didn't really seem well enough to go out into a very cold hutch (and it was bloomin' cold last week).

We made sure she was kept in a room without the heating on so that she never got used to it being too warm. We then put her back outside with loads of bedding and she was fine for a couple of days and doesn't appear to be in pain any more. However yesterday and today she has had a funny tummy, at first she had the runs but that seems to have sorted itself out and now she is just not eating her squishy poos - which is weird because she was at first. Other than that she seems fine and is drinking plenty of water and today ate all of her food. If her tummy doesn't sort itself out in the next couple of days I will phone the vet, but I think it's partly because she is such a fussy eater. :roll:

My Dad's rabbit, Cybil, was also spayed a couple of weeks ago and has also had tummy problems, but she too is now much better. So I guess it must be common - it is a major operation after all.

Most vets i think will say overnight indoors just to get over the initial 24hrs. they should be ok to go back out after that.Good that shes eating again shows she didnt get to stressed, val

thank you all for your advice, sorry I took a while to reply again!

Check up with the nurse went well - she has not tried to pull out her stiches and the mess she had on her bum I managed to clean while the nurse was holding her! :lol:

Poppys eating very enthusiascally (sp?!) now! but Im not giving her too much dried food and just introduced green cabbage which she seems to like and hasnt upset her tummy. :)

Shes back outside in her hutch, but with some old towels to keep her warm, and she has a blanket and waterproof cover on during the night. Going to have her out in the lounge for a few hours now - I'm looking forward to seeing her play again - may try another look at the wound. Hope your bunnies are doing ok - the op will be worth the worry (and cost!) in the long run im sure! :lol: :lol:

Emma

Back