• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lump on back, please help!

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
my poor little girl has a big lump right on her back next to her neck. it feels like a bone but it wasnt there yesterday and I am so scared. its sticking out loads

I called the emergency vet number but they said no one will be there for another hour and a half! I am taking her then but its really freaking me out.

she doesnt seem to be in any pain but I wouldnt know because i have never had a rabbit before

is there any chance she could have broken a bone or something and still be running round?

Sorry noone was here to advise you but your going to the vet so thats good. Depends what kind of lump you mean its hard in words i know. If its pointed then it may be a bone but if its round then it may be an abcess. Let us know what happens. val

update

thanks val!

She wouldnt get in her box and bit for the first time, so I called and said I just couldnt get her in and the vet told me 'if she has bitten you then there is nothing wrong with her!' Which I thought sounded like a bit of a stupid thing to say?

She said she wouldnt wait any longer and she was leaving, so I called another emergency number from a different vet and they came around and had a look. This vet said she didnt look like she was in pain and tried telling me that the lump had probably always been there and I had just never noticed before. It was not there before!

Anyway she had an appointment this morning to get her 2nd vaccination. I saw a different vet this time (for her first vaccination 2 weeks ago she saw a vet that was allergic to rabbits and just gave her the injection in the box without even checking her properly). As soon as this vet saw the lump he said I was right to be worried, it is not normal and that he needed to do tests right away. He took a sample of it and is going to call me as soon as he gets the results back. Oh and she had a proper health check too.

I am really angry now at the first 2 vets for making me feel like I was worrying over nothing when I was pretty sure that something was wrong

oh my god :? this vet sounds really insensitive :? maybe its best she didn't see your bun if this is how she is with these situations, who knows how she would treat your bun!

that's what vets are there for, they should be happy to do a check up even if it IS nothing to worry about, after all they are the experts, that's their job!

i'm sorry to hear that the lump was cause for concern, i hope everything turns out ok for you and your bunny!

maybe its best she didn't see your bun if this is how she is with these situations, who knows how she would treat your bun!

I know! I am so relieved that she didnt get the chance to see malibu!

i'm sorry to hear that the lump was cause for concern, i hope everything turns out ok for you and your bunny!

Thanks for that, I am feeling a tiny bit better now that I know they are doing tests to find out whats wrong.

Back