• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding and food, keeping costs down...

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
I have recently decided to use straw as the main bedding for my 2 rabbits instead of Megazorb. I use a good quantity of hay on top as food and extra bedding. I also use Magazorb in their litter trays. I have newspaper underneath the bedding and the litter trays.

I have 2 fairly large (5 x 2.5 x 2.5ft) hutches that are joined. I found that I had to use a lot of Megazorb to cover the floor deep enough to provide insulation in winter. This works out quite expensive. Straw seems to be cheaper and does not smell like Megazorb! I am still using Megazorb in the litter trays as it absorbs the pee and odour very well and they are used to it. I was thinking of buying a bale of straw instead of buying pre-packed straw, but our local farm supplier said that bales of straw are hard to come by. Is this just in Cornwall or are straw bales hard to get anywhere?

The pre-packed hay and straw I use currently are:

Natures Own - Devon Hay
Natures Own - Golden Barley Straw

You might be able to find a farm near you that sells bales of straw or hay. I would imagine that any horse farm near you would bale their own hay/straw.

I'd go for Hay,

Its warmer
Slightly more expensive
Encourages them to eat more Hay and in my opinion with 13 buns reduces waste

I thought straw was warmer than hay? I use straw as the bulk of the bedding but top it off with hay because it's a bit softer and it also encourages them to munch on it. I see no problem with using straw instead of loads of megazorb though.

I would use straw foe bedding have you a horse yard near you they might sell you a bale. Im in london and i buy all mine by the bale from a horse feed stables. val

Back