• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suprise bundle-advice needed

Ginny

New Kit
We had what we thought were 2 boy rabbits that were given to us by our neighbour back in August. We were told they had been checked by a vet and were definatley boys. :D Just recently one of them had become quite aggresive towards me and would'nt let me go near him/her, the other one was quite protective too, and all i was allowed to do was feed and clean. :cry: Even then, trying to put them in the outside run was a nightmare. I thought they were hormonal teenagers and had them booked to be 'done' next week. :oops: However, in the last couple of days they both suddenly became affectionate again. So seizing the chance of a lovely cuddle we picked them up. One of them was quite chubby and the o/h asked could he be she, and pregnant? I said don't be stupid, until I took her and realised she either was or had had some. :? I'm now feeling really bad for not taking more notice of the behaviour, but as i was so sure they were both boys, i really wasn't expecting what happened next. We decided to investigate and found 5 babies, all look healthy and absolutley gorgeous. But i'm not sure how old they are, they can't be too old, because we put loads of hay in during the week because of the cold weather and saw nothing to suggect they were there. They had made their nest in the wooden house that we put in the sleeping compartment for the winter. The funny thing is, we adopted a female bun (lizzie) from Janice yesterday and i told her about our 'boys' and that i thought they had been fighting, because the fur on one of them looked like it's been pulled out. I really wanted to take all three sisters yesterday and o/h said No. The look of shock on his face when he saw the new 5 was a picture. :D The good thing is, he's agreed that we will keep them all, and because we didn't know, and we think, ok, theres a chance now that she could be pregnant again (fingers crossed shes not) we will also keep the next litter if she is.
He had better start brushing up on his hutch making skills.
The advice i need is, how can i tell how old they are? and how can i tell if she is preganant again? and is there anything i should do? Mum and dad are doing well and seem to have done fine on their own, but now i know im panicing.
Lizzie has settled well and was found cuddled up to Patch this morning. I have included a pic of baby in case it helps with ageing them.
Dad was swiftly removed into the spare hutch.
Thanks
Ginny
p.s i need to read how to load pics, will add it soon

Baby bunny

likklewabbit.jpg

Hope this works.

My goodness :shock: They must already be 10-12 days old at least as the eyes open @ 10 days and the ears open @ 12 usually. They start to leave the nest and eat solid food by 16-18 days.

Had you really no idea until now?! She could be pregnant again in this case as she has been with the male for at least a week after. Sometimes if a doe has a large litter she will curtail a pregnancy after 5 days, but 5 babies would only constitute a large litter for a v small bun.

Have they started leaving the nest yet?

oh, and mum will need extra food and greens to keep her strength up, especially if she's another litter on the way

I agree they are at least 10-12 days old and it's very likely mum is pregnant again. Oh my your hands are going to be full. :)

I'd get dad neutered while mum rasies her litter/s and at least he can go back in with her then once she finsihed her job.

By the way you will need to sex the babies at 8-9 weeks and seperate the boys from the girlds so your o/h is going to have to get moving especially if there's another litter likely. :shock: :)

Had you really no idea until now?!
Nope... no idea, as i said, she would,t let us near her. Also, we had a few things happening during the last few weeks, one of my dogs wasn't too well, so all my attention was on her, and last week i had a minor op, so the 'proper clean' was potposned to this weekend. I really believed they were both male and as i was told they had been checked by a vet i had no reason to suspect or doubt otherwise. Just spoke to my neighbour and it now turns out that she took them to the pet shop to be sexed. Had i known this, it would have been a different story.

No, they haven't started leaving the nest yet. How do i know if she is pregnant again? are there any signs i should look for? i feel so stupid. She feels a bit plump, but i don't know if this is normal after a litter or if there are more in there. By the way, o/h rubbed his hands in dirty straw before handling them, we did do as much research as we could before touching them.

:D I didn't mean to sound critical, it just came as a shock to see the picture!! I read your post and was all geared up for telling you what happens in the first 24 hours - 7 days, so I was a little surprised thats all!!! - had to delete most of what I'd written!!! :D

Thanks for your advice, i can understand the shock. You can imagine our shock when we found them. I am a little annoyed at my neighbour and shes asked for one of the babies. As she gave mum and dad to me, im finding it hard to say 'no'. However, the more i think about it, the more i am reluctant to part with one to her. If i do succumb (more to keep the peace than anything else), i think i will make sure it is neautered before i part with one. (see i am really a responsible rabbit mummy). I really don't want the worry of gran or grandad mating with one of their grandchildren. Not sure how she will take this though. Think i may say its to save her the expense and worry and make it look like i am doing her a favour, especially as i will do them all together. OMG- this is going to cost a small fortune. My vet charges approx £50 each. :oops:

Well, welcome to your little surprise package :D You are going to be bunny busy for a while and your purse will be empty by the sound of it :shock:
I had a accidental litter just over a year ago so know how you feel although I found mine the next morning :shock:
Sounds like youre a very responsible bunny mum and you will get a lot of joy from your new family - fingers crossed that the doe isnt preg again but I wouldnt be surprised :(

Is there any chance you can get mum spayed as soon as the kits start leaving the nest?

We had to do it at the rescue as an emergency and everything went fine, hope someone can give you better advice!

Good Luck

If the babies are 10-12 days (and I agree they look atleast that) I would say it's a fairly good bet she's pregnant again. They can remate as soon as the babies are born so he's had two weeks to get her pregnant.

I'd second the recommendation for getting the dad neutered now. The stay fertile awhile after the op so he'll be ready to go back with her once the litter (or next) one leave.

Tam

Back