• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel so bad please help

I cant believe what has just happened this morning. one of my rabbits that i rescued had babies about 10 days ago. Im always sooo careful about keeping the babies away from 1 of my cats coz his an absolute killing machine. He doesnt go for adult rabbits but if he sees anything small then he wants it.
(this is 1 of the reason i refuse to breed my rabbits) But this rabbit was already pregnant when i took her in. They have been in my bedroom in an indoor cage for the last few days and this morning I woke up at 6:30 to squeling and my cat was in the room and had pulled one of the baby rabbits through the bars. As soon as I scrreamed my cat let go and run away. But the liitle baby has afew cuts to his head and obviously in shock. Just to make it worse he only opened his eyes today (imagine seeing that). My mum had taken the dogs down to the toilet and left my dor open not thinking. I have warmed up a heatpad and left him on it I have sat up with him since it happened. His little nose has started to twitch again. But im aware that he will probably die because of shock. I know your probably all thinking that im a terrible bunny owner right now but any advise or help would be appriciated

Can't help with any advice but wanted to let you know I don't think your a bad bunny mum! These things happen sadly, the cat was only doing what is natural to it. My cat has always been scared of my two buns but I keep catching her 'watching' the babies with that look in her eye! :shock:

Bump...

So sorry to hear this, but like sue said, it was just an accident :(

Hopefully with just a few scratches and no real physical damage... hopefully the little bun will be ok (I'm no expert though... :? )

I hope someone with more baby knowledge will post soon xxxx

Hey its not your fault! You didn't leave the door open right? accidents happen :( and you have been very careful not to let him in & im sure you told the rest of the household to keep your door shut too. Don't wanna be mean to your mum but if anyone is to blame im afraid it is she :? can you put the heat pad in with mum & siblings? If he doesn't seem floppy & is starting to brighten up i'd be inclined to put him back with the others as he will feel safer & more relaxed with his family. Make sure you rub your hands or a towel in mums dirty corners & on her body then rub it on him so she accepts him back though :)

I have now put him back in with the others and left him on the heat pad problem is the others keep getting on and pushing him off :lol: He does look like his starting to brighten up abit. My mum is sooo upset she just keeps crying and saying how sorry she is. He looks quite content now with the others so im going to just keep checking on him.
thanks for everyones comments

:shock: I'm so sorry you had to see this! must have been a shock, but thank goodness you got there in time, it could have been so much worse. Well done for reacting quickly! I really hope the baby will be ok. I know you must feel bad, but try not to blame yourself. keep us updated on the little one.

Dont feel bad - as the others have said, these things happen. Hopefully the little mite will be ok - you are doing all you can - well done :D

aww its not your fault . just a terrible accident , hopefully the little un will be ok and he/she is much better off being back beside the mother and littermates . It may be worthwhile speaking to the vet as they will be able to check the baby over in case there are any small cuts ( a cats mouth is full of bacteria . The vet may even be able to give the little one something for shock . If you do go to the vet then the vet may suggest taking the whole litter and mum along too .

I would leave him in with mum and litter mates, and keep all the surroundings around the cage quiet and stress free as possible.

I wouldn't suggest moving him any more, as this will only cause more stress.

Peace and quiet...as little disturbances as possible, and the company of his mum and litter mates is the best you can do for him now.

Don't blame yourself. Sadly these accidents can sometimes happen, and your cat was only acting in his own nature.

It would be best to remove the heatpad and put him/her at the bottom of the nest. You need to be really careful with heatpads when the animals can't move away. Getting them too hot can do as much damage as being cold. Putting him at the bottom of the nest should keep him warm and fingers crossed at that age I don't think they're as aware as a slightly older baby so you might avoid shock.

Tam

Well he/she seems quite abit better now. i keep putting him on the heatpad and he keeps getting off and running round the cage. Im going to leave him in peace for the rest of the day and ring the vet 2morrow to c whether there is anything they can do

"Cats commonly have Pasteurella bacteria as part of their natural flora. While this bacteria is ubiquitous in cats and does them no harm, it is DEADLY to birds..........If your bird is ever in a confrontation with a cat, take him to the vet immediately even if there are NO apparent wounds. The bird could still have been exposed to this bacteria. "

im not sure if the same is true for rabbits i would recomend contacting your vet immediatly as your baby bun may need antibiotics.

arrhh

you are not to blame - hows the baby doing now? As others have said it must have been horrible for you to see but sounds like your giving the little one a fighting chance with your response.

good luck xx

how is mom? i bet it was more distressing to her than to the baby bun to be honest, and she may well be a bit shocked.
i second the advise on leaving them alone a bit. keep them all warm, dark and quiet and keep a close but distant (does tht make sense!?) eye on them. hopefully, the little cuts are only superficial, your cat would have been wanting to take him/her away from your room before thinking about killing it, so he would have had a fairly gentle'ish hold on him/her.
i hope its ok and try not to beat yourself up to much {{hugs}}

im not too sure how hes doing im abit worried as it seems like he keeps fitting but them goes back to normal again. its really strange. He will roll on his back and struggle and cry to get up its horrible to watch :(

i think now is the time that you should speak with a vet. Despite the little one being so small he may need an antiboitic shot .

i just dont want to stress him out anymore he has only just opened his eyes today and his having the worst day ever
my mums seems to think that he may be dreamin??? as as soon as we touch him he stops and goes back to normal

i didnt mention it earlier, i tried to look after a young wild rabbit that a cat had caught, it only had minor injuries to its head. it was about 2 weeks old and was fine for 1 day then started fitting, similar to what your describing. there wasnt a lot the vets could do.
how often is the rabbit fitting? is it pushed away from the rest? is mom still taking an interest in it?

Back