• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cod Liver Oil ?

Martin E

Warren Scout
We were at the vets this morning for the usual Cylap booster with Yalta.

We were chatting about Yalta's problems - she has bouts of gas/abdominal problem that she gets every few weeks. Tummy rubs seem to be the best treatment that we've found.

Today he was recommending the use of Cod Liver oil - he seems to think that the most likely cause is gas build up in her caecum (appendix) - and that the CLO will help any gases to pass.

Just wondering whether anyone here has used Cod Liver Oil before - and we assume it's safe ? - Guess it's not that different from liquid paraffin.

Thanks,

Martin

I've used CLO to help support growing joints in an underweight bun but not for tummy probs :?

i havnt used it but since bunnys are strict vegitarians i would think it would almost certainly give her the runs ( liquid paraffin is somtimes used to 'flush out' a small obstruction) if not make her tummy worse.

Wouldn't "First Cold Press Virgin Olive Oil" make more sense? Olive is a fruit, it's natural and can be found in the wild.

First Cold Press makes the hard pressing of the olive to get the oil out without any heat or chemical means. So it is very Nutritial and it is a strict fruit generated product.

I would talk to another vet before giving cod liver oil.

I thought I read somewhere that codliver oil wasn't good for bunnies... but don't quote me on that.

I think infactol is what's recommended for gas problems?

Tam

Since Chomper enjoys an occasional dig at the carpeting in her room, our vet recommended we give her a dab of Laxatone up to once daily, just to ensure that if she does eat some of the carpet that it passes through without problems. I keep a close eye on her stools to ensure that they don't get too loose, and if they do I'm to simply back off on the amount/frequency of the Laxatone.

So far, it's been working quite well. Chomper hasn't had any bouts of loose stool, and she's been getting her Laxatone every other day for about a week now.

Laxatone is designed to help cats pass hairballs, but my vet assured me that the ingredients are perfectly safe for my bun. I use the regular flavored formula, not the tuna flavored one, and the ingredients are: light mineral oil (34 milligrams per gram), corn syrup, malt syrup, soybean oil, cane molasses, water, gelatin by-products, sodium benzoate (preservative), iron peptonized, artificial flavor.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty sure thats almost identical to a product called Kitty Malt we get here in the UK

Sounds good Sharon, if its helping then keep it up :thumb:

P.S Maybe drop the dose to once every third day :?: I'd be worried about the sugar levels in it :?

It's only a thought, but I would be slightly worried about my bunnies system becomming dependant on it, and then getting lazy bowls ( if that makes sense) I would be enclined to use it less often. that's just my thorghts though.

sparklefairy said:
It's only a thought, but I would be slightly worried about my bunnies system becomming dependant on it, and then getting lazy bowls ( if that makes sense) I would be enclined to use it less often. that's just my thorghts though.
Very good point :thumb: Janex

Apparently Laxatone and Kittymalt are the same product. Funny how the name changes from country to country when the product stays the same.

I had questioned our vet about the sugar content in Laxatone, and he assured me that it was not a problem. Chomper's only getting a dab off of my finger; it's less than a quarter of a teaspooon. On days she gets the Laxatone, she doesn't get any other sugary treats, though, just to make sure she's not getting too much of the sweets.

I hadn't thought about Chomper becoming dependent on the Laxatone, though... I'll give my vet a call tomorrow morning and see what he thinks about that. I'm also going to ask about reducing the Laxatone to once every three days. Chomper hasn't exhibited any symptoms of a blockage associated with eating carpet, and I haven't seen her eating any of the carpet in all of the time that I've spent with her. I certainly don't want her to develop a blockage, but I also don't want to treat her for a condition that she doesn't have.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. You're the best!

Back