• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet wouldn't give metacam after spaying?

CuBar

Warren Scout
Cuba has been spayed this morning, :( she has also had her molars clipped :shock: , which i did not ask them to do but they needed doing. Are they supposed to clip them? Also when I picked her up from the vet I asked if they were prescribing metacam and she said no because she had it injected and that lasts for 24hours. I had seen on here that people ask for it anyway to give a couple of days later but she said she didn't need it and she wouldn't advise it because of liver damage?? :shock: :shock:
Any advise would be much appreciated, my vet closes at 2pm tomorrow so I can go and get some then if I need to.
Cuba seems ok at the mo, they said she ate a little in there and she has pooped a little bit and had a drink.
Will her teeth be bothering her where they clipped them?
Sorry for all the questions :roll:

I would ring up tomorrow and ask for some, if she is in pain she won't eat, and then she is at risk of stasis...more of a risk than liver disease from the metacam IMO.

thats what I thought, I think the vet thought I was being a bit "know it all" asking for it, but I trust peoples judgment on here because most of you have been through it, I also asked her if they were supposed to clip molars or burr them, and she said that you dont burr molars? :?

We don't give metacam orally after a spay - like your vet ours gives it as an injection during the op.
Our rabbits always seem to be back to normal after 24 hours so we have never had to give any more.
If she seems OK after 24 hours don't worry - if she seems poorly then go back and tell them she's still not right - hopefully they will give you more.

As for her teeth - if it was her molars they would probably have been filed down. She won't be in any discomfort from that - although she may have been before they were done.

Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll be fine - and she'll thank you in the long run!

As you may know my bunny was spayed yesterday,she was given batril and metacam to be started today,as the first 24 hours the jab will cover her.But she will need furthur pain killers.Im to give Daisy 4 drops of metacam once a day for 5 days,and the baytril 0.6 twice a day until bottle finished,which i think will be around 5 days.
Do speak to the vet,she may need pain killers.Iv heard you can give baby calpol but i dont no the quantity maybe someone else can tell you.
Please dont leave it if shes not eating,I took mine back today and she had a hard tummy due to not eating she was given a stronger pain killer via a jab and a jab to get her guts working.Shes now eating,Its a real worry,let us know the outcome,hope your bunny will be ok.

The vet has never given me any metacam for the bunnies after their spay ops. If she is eating and continues to do so then i wouldn't worry. She will probably not eat much but as long as she is nibbling bits of food she will be ok.

I always give my post spay bunnies Metacam for at least 2 days after surgery. Some only require a dose on the first day. Metacam is VERY low risk for Hepatic (liver) damage if used at the correct dose (0.1-0.2mg/kg orally per day) and for the minimal time possible. A spay is major abdominal surgery, no different to a hysterectomy in humans. Rabbits do not always exhibit signs of pain in 'behavioural' ways but pain manifests itself in a physiological way ie reduced gut motility/stasis and or compromised renal (kidney) function. I would not fancy have a hysterectomy with NO pain relief post surgery!! Janex

we dont routinely give out metecam after speys, to any animal, but we do tell owners if they think their pet is uncomfortable to bring it back for the vet to check. none of my animals have ever needed more than the 24 hour lasting jab. some vets wouldnt like to give it i think because its not licensed for use in rabbits, and has only just become so in cats.
one off doses wont do her liver any harm, it is long term use in young puppies in which it should be avoided.
keep her warm and encourage eating, she'll be fine.

Smudge had one dose ( 0.2 ml) of Metacam the morning after his op, and one more at the vets the day after that although she did say he seemed fine but gave him it just in case he was a bit sore!!

Mine are injected with Metacam at the vets.
But they never send any home with them and to tell the truth although I have it here I have only ever had to give any to one doe after a spay.

Your vet is right they give a long lasting pain killing injection during the op, they very rarly need more.The back teeth must have had spurs on them and that is why they were clipped. Youd never get a burr drill in there mouths at the back. val

taylor v 109 said:
Your vet is right they give a long lasting pain killing injection during the op, they very rarly need more.The back teeth must have had spurs on them and that is why they were clipped. Youd never get a burr drill in there mouths at the back. val
I believe the modern dental burrs CAN deal with molar spurs at the BACK of a buns mouth. A Dental cheek retractor is used to hold the 'pockets' of cheek tissue out of the way Although not all Vets have the modern equipment cos it is MEGA EXPENSIVE!!:D :D Janex

the vet definately clipped her teeth because i specifically asked how it was done, do you think she will need this doing regularly and if so is it an anaesthetic job every time? :?
Cuba is bright today, ate last night before I went to bed and I got up at 2am and all veg had gone, so i put some more in and some of that has gone this morning. She is pooping and weeing fine, I would like to check the wound to make sure she hasn't nibbled but she wont let me near her and I dont want to force or hurt her. Should I leave it alone for now? :roll:

amanda hughes said:
the vet definately clipped her teeth because i specifically asked how it was done, do you think she will need this doing regularly and if so is it an anaesthetic job every time? :?
Cuba is bright today, ate last night before I went to bed and I got up at 2am and all veg had gone, so i put some more in and some of that has gone this morning. She is pooping and weeing fine, I would like to check the wound to make sure she hasn't nibbled but she wont let me near her and I dont want to force or hurt her. Should I leave it alone for now? :roll:
Hiya. You do need to check the wound to make sure she has not nibbled at it and that it is still closed. I would wrap her in a towel to examine her, it will make her feel safer and prevent her from struggling. Good news that she is eating/pooping/weeing :thumb: 'Dentals' do normally require a GA but some Vets do it by just giving the Bun a whiff of anaesthetic gas. If you try to ensure your Bun has lots of hay/grass hopefully the need for further dental treatment will be minimised. Janex

Ive just managed to get a look at cuba's tummy, much to her dissaproval. It looks very neat and nice and pink, not red or scabby so im happy about that. Shes eating well now and seems quite lively. Will she be ok to come out for some excerise today? Im just a bit concerned that she will try to run or jump :?
As for her teeth, I recently changed her eating habits so that she eats veg in the morning and pellets at bed time so that she eats lots of hay in the day time, which she does!! :D So hopefully the teeth should keep themselves down?

Back