• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Misty (has gone to the bridge)

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Misty has been on penicillin since October last year which was keeping the snuffles under control anyway yesterday the discharge from his nose and eyes have got worse and he seems to be in a bit of pain because he flinches when I go to bathe them. Misty is such a chilled out bun that you can do anything with but he just can't be bothered. He is going to the vets a 3pm today but if his tearducts are blocked then I don't think he will survive an anaesethic :cry: . He is 6yrs old
Fingers crossed

I'm so sorry Kay :cry: it's so awfull to have another poorly bun, especially when you are loosing poor toffee bun :cry:
I hope the vet can do something. fingers crossed for Misty xx

It's an absolute nightmare I am dreading going to the vets today to be perfectly honest. As regards Toffee I now it is the right decision as at least she will be pain free and can be with her previous owner as that is why she came into rescue.

Misty's eyes are just pumping with gunge I can't stop it even with bathing.
roll on 3pm whe I go to the vets.

I think the time as come to end his suffering as his face is swelling up so it looks like the infection as really takrn over.

What a nightmare going with to buns and coming home with none.

I can't wait for this year to be over and we are only in March and to make things worse its our wedding anniversary tomorrow and Vic is coming home tonight for the weekend and everytime she has been home in the last 12mths we have lost a pet.

:( Oh no :(

As hard as things get Kay, remember that you do a great job, you may be coming home with no buns :( but you are doing the best by them if that's what is needed.

Make sure you enjoy your weekend with Vic (tell her Rudy says HI!!) and make sure David spoils you for your wedding anniversary xxxx

Laura it proves how much I think of my anniversary I had to ask him a couple of weeks ago how long we had been married :oops: :oops:
I don't need a card I see the result everyday who needs reminding :lol:
:lol: :lol:
I'm only kidding I couldn't want for a better husband and best friend (don't tell him I said that)

kayj said:
Laura it proves how much I think of my anniversary I had to ask him a couple of weeks ago how long we had been married :oops: :oops:
I'm only kidding I couldn't want for a better husband and best friend (don't tell him I said that)
Awwww Kay, its lovely to hear of a HAPPY couple. But of course NOT good to hear of poor Toffee and Misty. The year sure has got off to a ropey start for you Kay. But at least the Buns you have are loved and cared for. Making 'that decision' when you know the time has come shows just how much you care. Will be thinking of you and am sending a BIG HUG your way. Janex

kayj said:

What are you like! :lol: :lol:

If as you say your rabbit is good tempered then theres no reason to put him out to have the ducts flushed. Iv had lots of rabbits awake to have this done. To put him out while hes nose is blocked is a death sentance he wont be able to breath. Rabbits carnt breath through the mouth. Why not try when hes awake. They put some anesthetic in the eye then put a tiny plastic tube into the duck and then fluse through some saline. When clear it comes out of the nose. This i may say makes the rabbit jump but its not painfull. val

how did you get on at the vets?
If you will remember my darling cheekybun had snuffles and he lost his fight last year aged 6 and a half :cry: .
What you are describing about them looking all swollen happened to cheeky as well . He was put into an oxygen chamber and funnily enough it happened on the 5th of march last year . What had happened was the infection had really taken hold and all his glands went up . He had 48 hours intensive nursing at the vets with antibiotics , steroids etc and he did recover . I thought he really was a goner . In july last year though he just went right downhill and I knew that he had no fight left in him so I had to let him go .
I,m not saying for a minute that this will be the case in your circumstances . Hopefully all will be well and misty will be home soon .
what we found worked best with cheeky was a comination of bisolvon for the mucus , pro biotics , a comination of baytril when he was doing ok and then switching to a stronger drug as he needed it but the biggest god send of all was olbas oil . I wuld put two drops on a tissue just outside his hutch and it really helped him to breathe . As for his eyes he always had runny eyes but this was also due to teeth probs and despite several ops his eyes were constantly weepy . I had to bathe them twice a day with a saline solution and god bless the little chap , he never once complained .,
I know how upsetting it is to care for a snuffles bun but don,t give up yet .
let me now how things go. xx

Unfortunately Misty has gone over to the bridge. One of his eyes had ulcerated down the base of the eye and another had appeared in the top eyelid. The gunge was just pouring out and had blocked a nasel passage completely, I know rabbits can't breathe through their mouth so that is why I knew we had a limited time to see what could be done. My Vet said that he had only gone on as long as he had because of the treatment and care I had been giving him. He is a peace now and also pain free so I really know I have done the best for him.

Sorry to hear your sad news about Misty & Toffee :(

Im sure they are having great fun binkying around in lush green grass now though!

Hugs for you (((((*)))))

Awww, least he is at peace now and in now more pain :(

Hope you are ok Kay, Rudy sends special snuggles! (If he can sit still for long enough... hes had basil!!) :wink:

Back