• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth removal

bluelop

Warren Scout
Hi I have a mini lop house bun who has had to have his teeth teeth burred every month. I finally booked him in to have the front ones removed as the vet advised. He had it done today and has to stay in tonight until he is eating and pooing. The vet phoned about an hour ago to say he had not eaten so far and they are syringe feeding him tonight. She said he is quieter than she hoped and now I am really scared he will not make it. How long does it usually take before they are eating after this op? He is such a darling its awful waiting until the morning to phone again. I am really wondering if I have made the right decision having it done. Pam

The night following removal of inscissors they are usually a little slow to get going with eating, the following day they will start to return to normal, you may find that you need to soften pellets for a number of days to encourage him to eat, veggies will need to be grated or chopped very small. Lots of soft treats is what is needed. Do ensure that you have some painkillers to bring home for him.

There are a number of previous posts about teeth removal http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=16526&highlight=front+teeth+removal

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=10888&highlight=front+teeth+removal
Janice

My Rowan had his teeth removed yesterday. He was very quiet last night and although moving around today is not exactly lively. He hasn't eaten anything on his own either. I think this is only to be expected, it must be painful. I have syrnge fed him critical care and recovery and will continue to do so until he is ready to eat. I am going to give hims some metacam this evening for the pain. You should ask your vet for some when he comes home. Rowan has needed this after his previous dentals too. He is quite happy to take food from a syringe. I just sit him on my lap and put the syringe (a thin 1ml one) into the corner of his mouth (away from the sockets) and squirt it in. He sometimes actually reaches for the syringe. I think he must be thirsty.

my jacks going for that op in the morning im so worried he is a mini lop too they say they can be prone to this oh i do hope ur bunny can come home tomorrow xxxx

Thanks for the replies.Yes its horrible is n't it, worse than taking them for neutering somehow. Hope Jack gets on fine. Can't wait to be able to phone this morning. Really hope he can come home. Will definitely ask about pain relief. Will let you know how he gets on. Pam

Back